We are in a lot of trouble, baby.

It was a long weekend for us too.  So after tacking all the crankiness of my little baby, who always strategically falls ill on weekends and long weekends, and tucking her in bed after 17 failed attempts, the husband and I decided to watch some telly.

I don’t generally join him, unless he is watching World Movies. But today, I just wanted to vegetate on the couch and stare at the screen mindlessly. I was staring at the screen and thinking of something else. And soon enough I realized I couldn't do it, because I was watching CNN.

Scenes flashed in front of my eyes-

From Somalia….thousands of displaced civilians, hundreds of hungry babies, flies swarming above their heads sickness all around and  teenage jihadists with a machine guns..

From a burning California..orange flames engulf the TV screen. I see nothing more.

From a devastated Philippines after the storm. Broken, shattered, uprooted, displaced. Gloom.

From a decrepit Indonesia, under rubble. Thousands dead. Bodies buried under debris. Misery. Fear. Horror.

From a war ravaged Afghanistan. Meaningless. Mindless.  What more can be destroyed there, really?

From a distraught Islamabad..So is suicide bombing the hottest selling profession?

From  flood battered Karnataka and Andhra. Homeless, orphaned, marooned.

By then my head was on his shoulder and  I heard him say ‘our world is in such a mess…while nature’s fury is at its worst in some places, people are screwing up real bad in others..we are in deep shit baby..’

I got up and went to sleep,  incredibly sad.

What does one do when one feels this way?

(Couldn't sleep, so here I am trying to share my anguish)



Edited to add: may be this is why people rather watch rakhi's mum in big boss . That kind of reality tv is better than the real stuff.

Comments

the pleasantone said…
gosh! that indeed was gloomy have a cuppa my dear girl tomoro ,help us read something cheerful! hug!
Discovering M said…
watch animal planet, simpsons or I am sure your baby has a collection of cartoons :) but dont even think of Rakhi shows please :-P

most cases you cant do anything about such scenarios - say an extra prayer for the less fortunate and that might help you sleep better.
Anonymous said…
On the bright side, you are still affected by this. I think some people have just become so desensitised to it all that the TV channels are upping the ante in terms of shock value. Some years ago we didn't see this much devastation on telly...and now we see so much some of us don't even get affected.

Watch Good News Week to lift your spirits...if you like political incorrectness! It's my fav show and probably the only thing I watch without fail.
Amit G said…
Best thing is not to watch anything acutely related to NEWS atall. It has all become "Never Ending Wacky Shit".

But big boss for news? Nah please. Better get tormented by what is real than by foolishly unreal reality TV.
Rupz said…
I knowww what you mean ! This has been such a gloomy week.. with earthquakes, floods and tsunamis everywhere... upsetting to the core.

:(
pleasantone: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
lets just blame it on the weather.

Disc M: saying an extra AlWAYS helps. makes u feel calmer.

PSYCh: oh good news week, is it? will do. but i think the best thing is to junk the idiot box.

Amit:like i said, lets just junk it. And if the Tsunami hits us, we'll eventually know. :D

Rupz: we must paint a few rainbows, go to the harbour, eat street food at the rocks, finish with some dessert in Guylian. Nothing lasts forever..and before we hit the bucket, there's so much more to eat, no? :D when are we meeting next?
Anonymous said…
My thoughts exactly! I used to feel bad about never being 'up to date with things', but whenever I turn the TV on, its only negative stuff. So, why muddle our minds more ?
Btw, I enjoyed reading your blog, and will be back for more.
Mind if I blogroll you?
Cheers..P

Popular Posts