5 books I’ll read again

And these aren’t in any order. Just that  I have read these over the last few months and they are still fresh in my mind. I also think that in a rush to read more, I tend to overlook finer points in a book. Its a lot like having a lot of appetizing food on the table, where you want to try them all and in a rush forget what each tastes like. Somehow you didn’t eat enough of each, or had forgotten the taste, or even better..you remember the taste, loved it and want more of it. Re-reading a book for me is a lot like the last bit. Loved a book, remember it, and now want re-read for fresher, different perspectives.

 

eatpraylove

Eat Pray Love – Friends, bloggers, acquaintances kept recommending this book. I picked it up in the book store, read the synopsis and kept it back. I was in no mood to read depressing anecdotes from a middle-aged woman’s life. Then, I read a fantastic review somewhere, which said, it was another life-altering book. I thought maybe I was wrong. So back I went and finally picked it, and haven’t regretted it ever since. Forget that depressing stuff-  the book is far from it. The book records true accounts by Elizabeth Gilbert, written during her travels to India, Italy and Bali. She is hilarious and most insightful. She tells the most profound lines in the simplest possible manner, which makes you go hmmmm and mwahahahahah in the same breath. I absolutely heart the book. I think EVERY woman would relate to this book in someway or the other.

An excerpt: “Groceries, baby, listen to your friend Richard. You go set your lily-white ass down in the mediation cave every day for the next three months and I promise you this- you’re gonna start seeing some stuff that’s so damn beautiful it’ll make you want to throw rocks at Taj Mahal.”

 

 

thebookthief Markus Zusak, made me shed copious amounts of tears.Not just at the end of the book, but through the book too. And if he made me cry, he made me smile too. I haven’t read a better book in the backdrop of the holocaust. Death is the main guy in this book. Liesel Meminger is the book thief, who is under the care of her foster father Hans Huberman, who is a painter and an accordionist. (Tragedies and a musical instrument is a must, no?) I fell in love with three characters in this book, Hans, Liesel and Death. Sometimes I can’t thank God enough for my nationality. I don’t know what life would have been like as a German, or being Jewish for that matter.

Buy this book. If you have an older kid- in his/her teens, gift one to them too.

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Love_In_The_Time_499bfa14f34faI am an eternal romantic. After reading this book, I saw the movie too. That’s when I thought I should have stuck to just reading it. Its a book that brought out many emotions in me- mostly the kind that lovers feel- euphoria, desperation, anguish, hope, and just plain Lowwe.

Marquez is the best. He is indeed my most favourite author of all times, though I haven’t yet read his Memories Of my Melancholy Whores. has anyone here read it? The main man in this novel, Florentina Ariza reminds me of my own husband. No no, R is far from being quaint. He is most handsome :d. But Florentiono’s resolve and love for Fermina is so much like R’s grit to make me his. He waited real long for me, you know.

And Fermina Daza reminds me of me. Just that we ended up marrying and i saw better sense in saying a yes to him. I’ve always been a tad vain and have made the most stupid decisions in my life. I always believed there was nothing like True Love..I thought it was but a notion. But read this book and you’ll see how that notion changes to something concrete. And such rich language! Deservedly a Nobel prize recipient. Ah Marquez, I wish I met you some day. I cracked up at many points in this book. Here’s one classic line from Dr Urbino, Fermina’s husband in the novel- “The problem with marriage is that it ends every night after making love, and it must be rebuilt every morning before breakfast’.

 timetravellorswife

Its a strange kind of happiness you experience, when you read a book before the film releases. And while I read the Time Travelers Wife I had no clue, this was being made into a film. when I began reading the book, I was a trifle irked with the concept itself, and almost  junked it. But it was a gift on Valentine's, and in the top list of a gazillion booklists - Amazon, that BBC thingy going around FB, OZ book stores, internet, where ever you will care to look. It was one of those- 'read before you die' types. So i read it anyway. And it kind of grew on me...the more I read it, the more I got used to the idea of of time travelling- else it sounded so fantasy-ish, and i am not a big fantasy fan. I haven't read the Potter series or the Lord of the Rings-  yep. Go ahead mock.

But this one really got my attention. In the loo, around the kitchen, on the couch- this book followed me everywhere.
More than anything else, what I really thought and understood, was the importance of living in the present - now and here..in the moment. Its not the greatest thing to keep wanting to visit the past and neither is it all that thrilling to visit your future before hand. It kind of warps everything, your present included. And of course, the kind of love the book talks of is a trifle tough to find. I mean, I don’t think I'll ever marry a Time Traveler. Who wants that kind of tension, man. Imagine, here I am introducing R to my parents, and there, swoosh, he vanishes into thin air, and is romancing me in college days.. Its a tough concept to accept and comprehend unless you've read the book. Oh, I so can't wait to see the film, its going to be more fun watching it, am sure. And I wonder what genre it will be classified under???? fantasy? Sci-fi? 

Methinks, its about romance. For this book, more than anything else is, about LOVE. 
I suggest, go get a copy. (wrote this bit when I read it first on FB. Did a cut paste job here :) )

 

dearfatty

Scribbler got me to reading this. And I can’t thank her enough. For I have been savouring this book, little by little, lest it finishes and leaves me with no mirth. Its funny. And I really cannot say a word more to exactly say how funny. By far the funniest celebrity memoir I've read. Dawn French’s memoir comes in the form of a series of letters. And here’s a sample from one of her letters to her dad -

“We have experienced overexcited, drunk people standing on chairs and announcing, to a whole piazza of unaware and frankly uninterested tourists that we are over there in the corner, look. We’ve had photos taken from the balcony of our hotel into our bedroom, and on one excruciating occassion, Len and i were on honeymoon in Kenya and the dining room of Brits joined in a loud chant of ‘we know what you’ve been doing’ as we entered. Exit swiftly stage left. Room Service, thank you, goodnight.”

So if you are in one of your worst moods, just pick this up. the book clubs here are promoting this book as one of the 50 books you can’t put down, and I so agree.

 

I have 3 books queued up- A Rohinton Mistry, a collection of shorts, and Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Grey. Btw, has anyone here  read Chimamanda Adichie’s newest collection of short stories….did you like them? And who here has read Pratibha Ray’s Yajnaseni?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Have only read Time Traveller's wife and posted a review on it as well. Looking at getting the Book Thief after being recommended it. Oh, and Rohinton Mistry is amazing! I loved his book 'A Fine Balance'. He is one of my fav Indian authors
Anonymous said…
KG, I have a post almost complete on re-reading and now this is a sweet coincidence that you wrote on the same lines.

I re-read a lot and I have mentioned it on my book reviews page too.

Eat, Pray, Love is the kind of book many woman would love to re-read simply because it is perhaps every woman's dream to get some me-time and go on a fun trip (of course all paid trip). Ha..ha..
Debanjana said…
All of them are so well-captured...makes me wanna make my own list...:)
Shachi said…
Haven't read any of these :( I heard a lot about "Eat Pray Love" - mixed reviews so didn't pick it up.
A few friends have suggested " The time travelers wife" but I am thinking I'll just watch the movie....

Do you read books again? I hardly do that.....I feel I have no time to do that :)

Harry Potter and Twilight series - not my cup of tea either :)
@PB: will read. there is much to read on your blog anyway. saving it for a nice sleepy weekend.

@Solilo: I just went to that section and you know my thoughts...i always got thrilled when i saw libraries and book stores, didn;t know a virtual space discussing books was as inviting too. Somehow I havent been able to get hooked to Shelfari. you? and the ALL PAID TRIP has to be in BOLD!!

Debanjana: go on, make yours. can't wait to know the kind of books u read!

Sachi: eat love pray..read the book before u see the film. infact i recommend u read TTwife too. its realllly sweet and very intriguing.
Scribbler :) said…
Glad you liked "Dear Fatty". I treasure it!

Have to read the other books you mentioned. At the moment reading "Change of Heart" by Jodi Picoult. Not bad, so far.
@scribbler: know what, ive read Picoult too. You tend to like her for all the drama she manages to create. her books always have this filmy side to it, that makes me want to read her on days I just want some masala and chicken biriyani. :) and her books get made into films too.
Urban Green said…
I've read Gilbert and like you rightly pointed out..there is something or the other one completely relates too.
I'll hunt for the others, and stuff.
Rohinton Mistry is brilliant. Fine balance, family matters are must-reads.
http://theurbanbalcony.blogspot.com
Indy said…
I have seen the Eat pray love book umpteen times on the shelf of bargain deal, as well as the time travelers wife.I have reached out flipped through and wondering whether to go ahead and purchase them~! Maybe now I will! :)
@urban green: Hi there thanks for stopping by. yes, have read a fine balance. family matters is in queue.

@Indy: go for it. you'll love it. and theres a bargain too? oh wow, i love bargains!!!!!!!!!!!!
Starry-eyed nut said…
jeez KG I feel so un'read havent even read one of the books you mentioned :(
But its a good wishlist for me now!
Madmax said…
Noddy Books, Enid Blyton's Famous Five, Summer Term At Malory Towers, The Magic Farway Tree, Tom Sawyer, Calvin & Hobbes, Tintin, Abol Tabol .... Egulo ? Egulo koi gelo ? You know what ? I had tried to come out with my list of 10 MOST favourite books sometime back. Gave up after a while. The ones that I read while growing up and would want to read AGAIN and AGAIN, by themselves add upto more than 20.
@madmax: oho. bollam toh..eigulo last 12 months e porechi aar abaar porte chaai. These are NOT my ALL Time favs. All time fav list is a tough one :D.
Anonymous said…
Hey Appu..I'm reading Eat Pray Love and loving it...thanks so much for recommeding it. 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' is next on the list.
@aditi: babe, i actually wanted to add the gruensey potato peel society here too. just duuno how i missed it! I fell in love with that book- its characters and its awesome English humour!

Popular Posts