A jealous mother and some conspiracies.

In the one (almost) decade I’ve known you as a partner, and over the last four years, as a father, there’s much I’ve learnt of you. Some facts were interesting, some fun, some horrifying and quite a few bits of it were confounding things. But lets strictly talk about you being a dad.

So, from the time when you didn’t quite know what ‘positive’ in a pregnancy test really meant, to filling forms to admit your 4 year old in a public school, your progress has been good. This is not me rating you. Its your pink marshmallow. She  will vouch for anything that has ‘papa’ in it. Actually, only she will. I’ll tell you why.

I still hate you for holding her the first time, before I could. (I should have sued the hospital, man. Chcha.). It was then, that a bond was made. A special one, which I haven’t figured yet. Something that makes her run to you, even if its me who bakes her the best cakes and buys her ALL the pinkness she demands. Its got something to do with you holding her first. I know and am convinced, it was a big conspiracy theory. And it all began there.

Because you worked late nights and passed gladly as a nocturnal being, ergo, had almost the entire night  to play with her in her early years. She being a night child herself, obviously liked being in your arms in those twilight hours, watching you, fascinated, as you effortlessly balanced her in the folds of your left arm and attended con-calls with your right. So there, you had an advantage of a night job. (That’s when you and her, I suppose, made little pacts, eh?)

Even when she was unwell. Severely sick. She preferred you. Why? You held her firm while they poked those nasty needles into MY poor baby. I couldn’t bear to do it. But she mistook my maternal fears and instead, looked at you as her papa in shining armour, while you coochie-cooed into her ears and distracted her when she was poked. You cast your spell there too. Very clever.

Then, you take the most unfair advantage of being the taller one of us. Why, she likes being perched on your shoulders more than she does on mine. The view is better from yours, but obviously. How unjust. Really. She puts her face on your head and also gives you a little head massage. Just not done.

The beach. I like photographing you both - to ensure she has memories for later. So you pounce on this opportunity and dash with her into the waters? While she looks into your eyes, hands clasped tight, like you were God or something. What's the big deal about getting into the water, anyway? And you will never hold my camera while I take her in, won’t you? More conspiracy.

The puzzles you solve together are done, ALWAYS when I am cooking dinner. Easy way to keep me out. Easy way to tell her, see dad is so much fun. If this is not treason, what is?

The trampoline. It cannot take my weight. And I admit, I’m a wee scared of it. Does that mean you both jump on it all Sunday morn and mock me? Besides, I know you jump less and sleep more on it.

Desktop2

Oh well, dinner time takes the conspiracy cake. When you feed her, she likes it better. Of course she does, and will. Why wouldn’t she, when you help her eat faster, by eating little spoons from her plate, yourself? And both of you suppress giggles when I come to check on you both. You think I haven’t noticed it? Such wrong means to make her yours.

She thinks big of you, just because you can ice-skate? And I cannot? And you do all sorts of things to annoy me. Slouched on the couch, both of you, watching meaningless animation, for hours. I know, that’s another way of gaining brownie points, no?

The worst, perhaps is bed-time. Your stories. I won’t allow them. I’m telling you. Should you tell her The Ali Baba story as many times as she demands? And must you read her 10 stories always? That sets a bench mark, no? So, there. I’m so convinced of a plot. Of a big nasty understanding between you both, that began right from the moment she was taken out of ME.

Oh there’s more. I have a slip disc, hence I cannot try that Super-Girl thingy you do with her- taking her high her in your hands and swooshing her mid-air while she goes yipppiieeee I’m the Super Girl! But how would she know the meaning of ‘Slip disc’? I can’t blame her. And, last but so not the least, what can I do if I like to shop and you both don’t?

However, today, being Father’s Day and all, I’ll let you hog some limelight. Since she thinks of you in a rather big way, and would take away my brownie points if I don’t wish you a happy one.  Hope you and your four year old have a good time.  And I hope to God almighty, you stop playing conniving games with me. There will come a day, when she will realise.

But for now, just for now, we’ll settle with (just for her) :

My Papa Bestest.

Happy Father’s Day. Whatever.

(My entry to  BlogAdda’s Father’s Day competition)

(Dad’s Pringoo gift.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Fabulous!! simply fabulous!! Now I understand the bond between my older one and my hubby.... He carried her first... and that was it!!! If we walk in together.. she'll run straight into his arms ... like I dont even exist...

But I'm ok.. coz I have a 'superglue' in the 2nd daughter... she is mom's & only mommys... and only 'her mommy understands her'.. is what she says...

So solutions - have another baby.. :-)
Anonymous said…
Hey.. I vote for your entry.. its fab!
Anonymous said…
That is just lovely!
indranil said…
holding her first !! i guess it creates a special bond in a way.. when we first saw m as a 6 month old baby she out of some instinct leapt into my arms ignoring M standing next to me.. so i guess this works !!

a small incident i vividly remember which goes to make R's fathers day more enjoyable...it was during munia's reception... one of those parties.. while we were all leaving some one banged the door of the car and mishu's little finger got jammed in that and she started wailing like crazy.... you could not bear the scene and turned away and started crying at a distance... but R just took her in her arms and pacified her....

remember the incident??? thats fathers day for Raj !!!!
Shilpa said…
Wow!! Lovely.... A lot of emotions flowed through irritating, possessiveness, motherly attachment and many more... Truly loved this!!!
manikarn said…
For some reason I like this look better than the dark one.. although, who am I to say when I am stuck with the darkest one...
@patty: thanks sweetheart. Second one? U really think KG has that kind of patience?

And this contest is judged. No votes here. But thanks :D!

@aditi? thanks a lot! how have u been?

Manikarn: really? aww hugs! And I like this version better too. the dark one was too kat-kate to the eye, na?

@IK: I can't forget that incident!! Raj obviously liked what u said. Besh ekta proud father hanshi dilo, tomar comment ta pore!

Shilpa: Muchas Gracias and welcome here! The POssessive trait was predominant, am sure!
Scribbler :) said…
very very cute post! and love the blog makeover :) Hugs.
Debanjana said…
Very Nice post...and yes, I love, just love the new look....
Angel :) said…
A brilliant post. Plain brilliant. Don't be surprised, if you actually win this contest, dear blogger.
@scribbler, thank you babe. big hugs back!

@Debanja: thank you :). the change in look was exclusively for you :)

@angel: hey there! thanks a lot! :)*gleaming*
GB said…
Loved the post- so much there that I can relate to... :) I'm going to see if I can vote-is it still open?

G
Rajlakshmi said…
awesome... that is such a sweet post... the amazing bonding and the understanding is so well penned... beautifulll...
@gb: thanks :). Blogadda competitions are judged and not put to vote. :). Thanks much :)

@rajakshmi: hello there! first time here? Thank you :)
manikarn said…
I have been thinking about changing the chhayanat brand pic.. and eventually the entire look..too "katkate"??!!? :P

Up for vote from you and scribbler..and of course anyone who bothers to spend a minute..
yes yes, manikarn, please change. I didn't want to be rude, so didn't say how bored I was looking at that lonely parked cycle. Please change kor. na yours is not katkate though :D
Rinzu said…
Lol. What was that? I was laughing gloriously again. Especially on the point of " buying all the pinkness"

Heheheheheheheh.........

Good luck in the contest. May you win.

;-)
Aparna said…
That was the best post I ever read on Father's Day. Is the contest over? Did you win? you should...Great blog you have here, I will be following you.
~ Lopa said…
hahaha, loved reading it...and i so so could connect. Lovely post.

And Congrats for winning, you deserved it :)
Vinita Apte said…
Congratulations on winning the contest...very humorous post...
Oh My God!!!!!!!! Thank You ALL!! I won!! :D Yaaay!

Lopa: thanks so much. It was from your comment that got the news:)

LP: :D thanks gal.

@Rinzu: thank you so much! :D and yes, I did win!

@aparna: so glad you liked it! :)
Bikram said…
Congratulations on winning this article :) excellent
Unknown said…
Hey Apu!
Simply fabulous! I think the bond between a father and daughter is an infamously accepted one! For some inconspicuous reason, daughters and fathers continue to share a very special bond...Let's hope my mother isn't reading this one!
Hanif Murad said…
Congrats.

Your viewing the whole thing through a different prism makes it a worthwhile winner!

All the best for the future.
Samadrita said…
Aparna,your post made me cry.Yes I'm shedding tears right now.And I thought my emotional IQ was closer to zero.
You deserved to win.Actually you deserved more for this wonderful,beautiful post.
May god bless your husband,your pink munchkin and your family. :))
@bikramjit, Lavanya, Hanif : thanks a lot. :-) . SO so glad you liked the post this much. Its quite an overwhelming feeling :).

@sammy: aww. It was meant to be funny. But yes a lot of people told me it was so funny that they cried :D. So glad you liked. :)
Dpa said…
so very cute.i enjoyed it n asked my daughter astha also to read this.she was in giggles because she shares the same bond with her papa as u mentioned especially d time they share at the dining table.congratssss.
Unknown said…
Congratulations on winning the contest. Ur blog is really awesome....simply fabulous.
GB said…
Did you win? Congrats! So- I'm waiting for another post, its about time.....
Rupz said…
Hey how are you? Long time ! Drinks to celebrate the win ?
Swetha Naveesh said…
Hey... You know what? This is exactly the way my mom feels... I am the only daughter to my parents... I always used to wonder y she is so jealous, When me and my dad chat a lot and giggle a lot when she is cooking a delicious meal for us... now that i read ur post I UNDERSTAND TOTALLY... :)
Samadrita said…
No Aparna your post made so emotional that I shed tears. Thank you for writing this.
Btw you have been tagged. Do check my blog. It's an interesting one :)
Swaram said…
Dropped in from Patricia's blog seeing the pics from ur dwelling :) Superb!
Discovering M said…
A.W.E.S.O.M.E

Totally enjoyed reading it. You pen simple things so well..

You describing how his staying up late (to work) works to his advantage is brilliant.

Popular Posts