Ninth.

It takes very little to fall in love. But they say, it takes a lot  more to remain in love and with marriage, the job to remain in love only gets tougher.  Oh, yes, it does become a job. Especially when you reach a point in your relationship when both of you are busy with your other lives - 'more important' ones. At least that's what we think they are.  Paid jobs have to be more important, no? Equally or more important, fixing your child's play dates, summer holiday workshops so on and so forth. And somewhere in this maze we find time to be nice to each other, celebrate significant occasions (forced to sometimes, because on birthdays and anniversaries, you have to celebrate). So, over  weeks, months and years we keep up this act - barring minor disturbances like fights at the end of the day, some tu tu main main, etc.

And then comes a point when you pause. It could be an incident or a sheer stroke of luck that makes you stop for a bit, to reflect. About the years gone by. About how indespensible you've become to your partner and vice-versa. About how love is still in the air and how the meaning of the word in question,  hasn't really changed.

I think we are as much in love, if not more (the latter surely) after 9 years of being together legally, than we ever were. Sure, we haven't been to a pub in ages, neither did we take a holiday together that lasted more than 3 days. I'd much rather take off on my own than wait for him to plan a holiday. (Let's not even talk about how terrible he is with responsibilities and promises.)

The little things, however, are still intact. If I remember right, I fell in love with him because of these 'little things', but somewhere down the line I forgot all about those 'little things' and started confusing them with bigger things like habits, responsibilities, abilities, etc. That can be a tough one to unravel.

When we sit together at the end of a day, I'm glad he still likes to hold me, like he always has (with a slight change of  scrolling down emails on his BB with one hand and the other arm around me). Somethings don't change, even with time. Like how he still doesn't talk as much and expects me to do all the talking. And how our conversations deal a little too much with our 6 year old. I haven't changed all that much either. I still give him the pleasure of an animated conversation (I owe it all to Facebook and my virtual friends) and how I pick a fight dutifully, every night. There's this other thing- in 9 years I must've complained every other day about a zillion things about him, to him. But much to my annoyance and displeasure, he never has. Never. Just imagine the burden I'm carrying.

Who doesn't like success stories? Wins, triumphs, happy news. But the tougher ones to deal with are the losses. I think, he has fared far better on that front. The tough times. And God knows, we've had plenty and more of the same this year. That is when I realized, no matter how many times he let me down- when it came to a terrible loss, he was right next to me, never leaving my side for even a minute.  I don't think I can credit myself with that kind of loyalty and strength, not to forget his ability to crack me up in the midst of tears.

So, yes, things have changed. We are busier and we don't have the time to do things we planned to do a decade back. But, we are still the same. Immature, irresponsible adults, in love.  That's all that matters, no? Being in Love?

 Happy 9th, BBman.  Here's to little things that has made the big difference. 

Comments

neha vish said…
Sigh. How utterly sweet. You senti creature. :) x
Quaint Murmur said…
I got married three months ago and since I'm wired strangely and live with one foot in the future, I think this is just what I needed to read.

I love the simplicity of your writing.

And I will admit that I chanced upon your blog because I was shamelessly curious to know what the only other person who has 'quaint' in their blog name is like.

I am not disappointed ;)
Scribbler :) said…
Beautiful. The writing...and your take on the relationship.
~G said…
How sweet! Congratulations on the ninth. :)
P.S.: I too have a husband who never complains and I don't like that either.

Btw, how is Silveratti going?
Vinita Apte said…
so sweet..congratulations on your anniversary :) you echoed my thoughts in your post...

Lazy Pineapple
sulagna said…
ohh Appu this post could not have been better timed..comes on a day when my heart is broken (again) i have been sulking in office all day long, there are so many WTF happening while i sit and concentrate on work..and there like a reminder, that the tide will turn, comes your story.

This is what is beautiful about marriage, the morning promises to begin with that childs laughter, and a promise that we are a family :)

Happy 9th you guys !!
I got to stop sounding like a teenager in love. xx
And I can't thank you enough for dropping by- your blog is a store house of wonderful writing. I loved the post on summer holidays. Will be stopping by for a lot more, soon . (I'm a wanna-be tam-brahm, much like a very close tam-brahm pal of mine wants to be a wannabe bong. Tam-brahms are utterly delightful in my opinion. Another reason for me to hang out at your virtual space).
you must be so mad with me. I know u are. You didn't have to say nice things- when u are mad at a person, u should just swear and abuse. U have that right, you know. :) . Write to u a long message with excuses and explanations.
Thank you, G. pray, what do we do with this breed of non-complaininig husbands? They have no idea how emotionally damaging their being-so-nice side can be for us. Nine by Thirty, my silver shop online is doing well. I'm happy the way it's going. Silveratti, unfortunately has come to a stand still. I have to do something about it.
How lovely to see you here :). I dutifully have subscribed to your posts, so I do read 'em all in my inbox.I must stop by soon. And Thank you for your wishes :)
But how can you? You are a powerhouse of all things happy and bright. brighten up, girl! Biig hugs.
Also, as a rule, I refuse to be as sentimental on days other than 2 August about our marriage.
Indrani said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Discovering M said…
oh wow ! loved this post :) - sometimes we have to remind ourselves that it is the smaller things in life that make the biggest difference!

Congrats !
Unknown said…
That is a beautiful post, Appu. Nicely times when I am wondering about these things myself. You get caught up with "happening" sometimes and we tend to forget the little things that were important in the first place. Thanks for the post and congratulations on your 9'th and here's to more lovely years to come.
Love,
S
KC said…
This is a great post. There are many things in this I could relate to. Like I do all the talking and complaining and fighting while he is great at appreciating and listening.

Keep up!

Kavita.
http://kavitachate.blogspot.in/
*Gasp* You are still around :). Don't with the course by now, am sure. Still in brisbane? Update your blog and thanks for appreciate the blob of mush :D
"S" ? Sarika? Thank you :)
:) thanks for dropping by. Fights and couples go hand in hand. hehe.
Unknown said…
Yup, Sarika here.Sorry I thought the name showed up. I just realised it says "unknown".

Sarika
~G said…
oh wow. let me go check the nine by thirty link
Treenz said…
Happy anniversary to you both. A lovely write up. Like always - keep them coming :).
AG said…
so very honest and so very sweet.
Anonymous said…
:) Read only to realize there are simple people around.
Pearlin J said…
I can relate to a lot of things that you wrote in this sweet post ... about doing all the talking ,me complaining about him all the time and him never complaining at all!! and 'Immature, irresponsible adults, in love" eventhough we are on our fifteenth! . Somethings never change and I do not want them to change too .Wish you many many years of love and happiness.
Thanks for dropping by my page. read some your posts and am a new fan and follower. happy to find you.

Popular Posts