A thread shop

Pat’s photo tag is absolute fun. Fun because every picture one clicks, has a story. Each and everyone. And given the number of picture folders on my notebook, this was going to be a tough one too.  I closed my eyes and clicked on a folder and then picked the 10th photo.

The folder was ‘Sydney Rocks market’. Its a market close to the harbour in Sydney, and is most charming. Open from fri-sunday, the Rocks Market has food, drinks, cafe, exhibits, art, flowers, people, and is a whole lot of fun.
Armed with my D60 I gallivanted about the market, and it was an utterly romantic experience. The quaint lanes, smell of fresh street food, stalls selling Oilve oils from their estates, wine tasting stalls..it was like a dream. I wandered about, a little away from the market place and came across a tailor shop with walls dotted with threads of all possible colours.

It reminded me of Ma. Ma stitches all my salwar kameezes and her sari blouses. She does it as a profession too. Way back when I was in class 12, things weren’t great financially. Pujo was approaching and we didn’t have money to buy ourselves clothes for every day of the 5 days of Pujo, which wasn't really required, but as teenagers, it then seemed very important. We never made it apparent, but ma knew how I might be feeling. Dad was out of a job then, and he was possibly going through his worst phase in life professionally and personally. That’s when ma swung into action. She spread word that she could deliver orders over night. She took orders of Salwar Kurtas, frocks for little children, cushion covers…what not – she took more than she could handle. But she managed it. That’s how she pooled in enough money to buy Dada and me new clothes  for all 5 days of Pujo.
I remember her sitting through late nights and stitching crappy synthetic salwar kameezes (a fabric she so abhors). And over one month she made a lot of things possible for us, as a family. Ma set it right. I recall accompanying her to Ameerpet, an area from where she picked her threads, lining, needles and other  such stitching supplies.  I used to stand out side the store enthralled at the sheer number of thread shades available.
All that stitching for a living might sound filmy as you read, but as i write, tears well up.

DSC_0088

And as I see this pic today, I think of her and the very popular business that she is running today, only out of sheer will power. Through my college days, I never once wore a ready-made kurta. And the ones ma made for me were such sexy ones!

Ma, if you ever visit, I’ll take you to this shop. I promise.
There were such lovely pics from Rocks market you know..and there are more stories to say. But let’s leave that for another day.
*********************************************************

Not tagging anyone, but urge you guys to do a tag on a photograph with a story. If the pic is random its even more fun. You’ll see how a story will unfold right before you eyes, even before you know it.
The rules:
1. Open your first photo folder. (I did that blindly)
2. Scroll to the 10th photo.
3. Post the photo on your blog and tell the story behind it and
4. Tag people to do the same.
Those who respond to the tag, do lemme know. Would love to see the picture and read your story too :).

Much love.

Comments

Starry-eyed nut said…
Thats such a touching post, KG. I think mothers are the only people in the world who are perfect! Sometimes I doubt if I will be able to give love, effection & care to my kids like my parents did. Their generation (our parents) was a hard-working generation, who made their own lives, they are self-made. Unlike us, we are more privileged than them :)
phish phish said…
I remember mashi's salwar kameezs...i was forever bumming them off you to wear for all the special occasions...and yes they were the sexiest i have seen...ever! That was beautifully written babes :)
I was all choked-up reading this! Your mom truly is a super-mom! We would all do well to take a leaf from her book of experience. Reminds me of my parents in a way...but I'll save that for later.

This was a really touching post...loved reading it.
Anonymous said…
OH wow... such emotions - all in one mail!! I dont remember this shop... but I've been shopping at the Rocks.. and its so impressive!!

Nice pic!!
Anonymous said…
There is so much to learn from our earlier generation.. When faced with adversaries - the only thing I do is probably blame my luck! :(
@starryeyed: oh yeah, we've had it easier and I don't think i have half my mum's energy and strength of mind!

@Phish phish: she made one for u..remember? :)I rmember the print too...a yellow one?

@m4: can't wait to read leaves from your parent's life too. We all have our stories. And its strange how they surface ...this part of my life was completely buried, till I uncovered this picture. :)

@Pat: oh when did ya set foot in this territory? Next time, you know who u should call. We'll stroll the rocks and have some yummy hot choc at the Guylian cafe!
thanks for this tag babe :). I wish i came across a photograph that made me say a funny tale.

@aynzoya: yes yes. thats all we do. blame. blame others, blame luck. despite ready examples and lessons right before our eyes! Shubho Bijoya babe. E-kolakoli!
Anonymous said…
It brought tears to my eyes too. Beautiful post! They say God couldn't be everywhere, that was why mothers were created. I agree...

My mother stitched and knitted our things too...
Scribbler :) said…
I welled up...at the emotions and the honesty in this post.

Suberb!
Anonymous said…
That made for a wonderful read! Moms are such rocks to lean on- i am sure your mother will enjoy shopping at this store!
indranil said…
M had once the fortune to get some thing stitched from boudi and she was absolutely elated at the way it turned out.... she still goes bonkers on her handiwork. it was from her that i knew that boudi was upto such creations.

but over the years M has grown so attrociously healthy that she is scared of getting something done from her as it would take up more than boudi's double of normal working hours for a single piece. :D
Discovering M said…
WOW you got a Super Ma!

I picked the 10th pic :) Story has unfolded - will post soon :) blogging is getting more and more interesting ! thanks KG !
indranil said…
just adding another comment:::

read out your blog to M and she informed me that basanti boudi is incredibly talented but unfortunately not marketed to that sense. i also learnt that when misha was a kid, basanti boudi had sewn for her quite a number of outfits... no wonder they used to say misha looks so sweet...........

she had even made a night dress for the 3 M's in my family the link to which is given below.

http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#AlbumZoom?uid=13032005893818332388&pid=27&aid=1$pid=27
Anonymous said…
'adversities' I meant.

Satyi! Just blame game - and I know I wont learn my lesson - cause it is the easiest thing to do. :( Wish I had an iota of ma's resilience.

Subho bijoya. Asche bochor abaar hobe :)
Rose said…
: ) Bless.

Isn't it amazing how a single picture can bring back so many memories? And it's just a random thread shop?!!!
Life is good and your mum deserves a cape as well as her own theme song. Move over Wonder Woman!
Primitive Lyric said…
Such a moving post! Loved it! The most amazing thing about being a mother is that it brings out a certain strength that you never knew you had. I hope I have it too like your mom, and will give Adiv a special childhood that he'll cherish and value!
:)
thank yous! will personally deliver all your awe and kudos to mumma when I see her next month!
Madmax said…
Hey this is a neat idea. Lemme try this out @ weekend if I can squeeze out time. By the way, the Sydney ROCKS rock ! ... I have walked the rock on a wintry (but sunny) Sunday afternoon armed with my camera.
@madmax: am sure its going to be a hilarious one :). but who knows? waiting!
Madmax said…
Naah. Holo na. Had tried. Put my mouse on a random snap. But all that I could think of was a funny stuff that had happened. Somehow did not want to write on it as I felt it would have ‘violated’ the poignant thoughts that you had penne down on your piece. There are some things where frivolity should not tread in. Am thinking of coming out with a weekly (Monday) piece .. “to be continued” types .. that we read in magazines .. but the issue is that I am planning to write in Bong and I wonder how many can read and understand that lingo.
Madmax said…
Well .. after having posted the last comment, I tried. A little bit more. Have put up the piece. Check http://brishtibhejadin.blogspot.com/2009/10/old-photograph-some-thoughts.html ... And I realise now that I should not have tried. Nowhere near the poignancy that was there in your piece

Popular Posts