Friday

I have mulled often over you, Friday,
trying to understand what in you makes my heart so blithe,
my mind so light.

Much like one’s first love-
when one is utterly unmindful of what’s to come,
and so sure of happy times ahead.
Heedless of the past,
of anything.

When you think anew, work with an unknown ardour,
unfettered, you smile excessively ,
and are always, overtly gracious.

Yes, completely oblivious that you,
my lovely day, fizzle away.

Much like one’s first love.

(Friday to me is way more romantic that the weekend itself. I guess its the feeling that surrounds it..that is a generally happy and liberated feeling. Hehehehe!! I know I exaggerate and romanticize too much. :D But Friday indeed is a sunny day.)

Comments

My Dream Canvas said…
I love this..you have given Friday its due and in lovely words :-)
Devi said…
Absolutely can relate to ur friday feelings!!
indranil said…
very nicely written... i share your spirit for any upcoming week end. i guess quite some time back you had another blog posting dedicated to the same.

RnT had written a small poem called "robibar" which is his compilation " shishu" or " shishu bholanath" where he starts getting excited on a friday for the upcoming break but then goes on to lament as to why the hours on a sunday fly so fast, and the hours on a Monday drag themselves at a snail's pace.

As a kid and even today i get fascinated by his

Robibar ta keno ma go ashey shobar porey?
shey ki ma tomar moton gorib ghor-er meye?
@anu :thank you! Glad you hopped over here! Keep coming :).

@devi: :D am sure this resonates with most!

@IK: WOW. can you send me the entire poem? Bangla te. This is one of my biggest regrets of not being able to read either bangla or oriya scripts- i miss out on a storehouse of literature. :(
phish phish said…
"...Much like one’s first love" :D :D I like!!

I love Fridays too...it always comes with so many promises. However, on Saturday, being the positive person that I am, I push myself back into my black hole of depression thinking of the manic Monday ahead :(
Devi said…
Have u read the Harper Collins book of Oriya short stories...its a decent read abt oriya literary work...
Casuarina said…
Love the poem, especially the language. I can almost feel you skipping along, each step.The form of the poem - unfettered - suits the theme so beautifully.

Friday affects me just so. I do have to forward this post to K, I think he'll empathise too ;-)
Casuarina said…
K's reply (as expected): "Loved it !"

Popular Posts