Of last minute urges and smells

Oh God. Just when I know I have just 4 hours left before the guests come and I haven’t even embarked on the main phase of making the Biriyani, and the entrées are still just an idea swimming in my head, i get this terribly deep urge to scribble something. I need to write. Have you ever had this feeling? You know the last minute feeling, before which you gotta do that thing. Like reading the entire Paradise Lost before entering the exam hall for your final year literature paper. Or how you have to take that last hug from your boyfriend before the train left. And then again you come back for a kiss?  Even steal an extra few gooseberries from your neighbour’s backyard before she caught you just on time? (I have done that BTW. Gunu, you reading this?)

SO i have exactly that feeling right now. I have guests for dinner, tonight. And i am here blogging to save my life. So then this urge comes straight from the shower. Last weekend, I got tired of asking my man to fund my expensive Body Shop creams, and so did some shopping that wouldn’t dent his pocket or my ego. I bought KEO KARPIN BODY OIL. Before you imagine any further lemme get one fact straight- every true blue east Indian must have his/her body moisturized. That used to be done with a good rub of mustard oil before bath and soon conscious people upgraded to coconut oil and then came Keo Karpin body oil. I am not even getting into the olive oil segment. I hated this oil massage ritual as a child, but you know it just stuck. (When you are standing next to a bong/oriya you cam literally SMELL them out!!)  I gave it up for a bit- a couple of years between college and marriage when I took refuge in the Elizabeth Ardens, Lush and Body Shops of the world. And then when I couldn’t fund my own cosmetics, I decided to go desi. Whey waste 100 dollars when 4 dollars can do the same job. (A little too fragrant for my liking, but who cares :D. As long as there are no scales on my hands this winter.)

This afternoon when I opened the bottle to take some, I almost jumped out of my skin. That smell. Oh MY GAWD. Was I Kolkata or was my grandmom standing behind me? It was like reliving an entire patch of childhood again! Its amazing how some smells take you back and a horde of memories come screaming back to you. And boy, ain’t that smell STRONG :D. OK, it ain’t as bad as the Navratna oil. But still. It was pretty pungent though sweet smelling. All my bath required was a lal gamcha (the red checked cloth towel) and a Lifebuoy soap, to transport me to a time a place I so so crave for, suddenly.

Sigh.

But I still detest a mustard oil rub. UGH.

My Biriyaaaaaniiiiiiiiiii!!!!

Comments

indranil said…
i always thought that you could smell out a Southie by his perfumed hair oil but doing the same for a bong / Oriya...... beats me...

So the oil cycle in your life ran thus:: mustard oils to coconut oils to keo karpins. then migrated to Elizabeth Ardens and Vidal Sasoons then returned back patriotically to Keo and the Navratans. Shall keep watching this space for further migrations and digressions in the body-oil segment in your life.

(( i just couldnt resist writing this as a closing note::: in your first para you had written about reading entire Paradise Lost b4 entering the exam hall.... well truly and honestly i for the first time read the 250 page Tom Jones novel of Henry Fielding on the morning of my final post grad: exams and went on to write some 7 pages critical appreciation crap on it.... so i know the feeling !!!)
Primitive Lyric said…
I'm sure we'll see pictures of your fantastic biriyani soon!:) So I wouldn't bother too much about the food.

And..yeah..i always indulge in last minute activities. I don't know why, but I'd read a bit more, or even watch an episode of a sitcom I've already seen, before an important exam. Sometimes when we have dinner guests and I have this huge list of things to make, I'll sit around and chat with my mom, for an hour or longer. I guess it is calming:)
Rupz said…
lol the red gaamcha .. Can't stop laughing.

I remember too well about my own shorshe tel rubs from childhood. plus in winters grandmom used to heat up the oil and then also make me stand out in the sun for a while before I could actually take a bath.

oh.. why are the bong kids pampered(read:harassed) this way ?
Devi said…
Reminds me so much of my childhood in Orissa...being rubbed with mustard oil and left to soak in the sun for some time before taking a bath...completely agree u can make out a typical Oriya from the smell..typical one that comes from their clothes and hair :)
IK: uffff, either u belong to some elite class or you are not a bong enough. next time u are in kol try and inhale a deep one..i promise u you'll know. :D

primitive: biriyani was not my signature style. all because of this blogging :D. yah...its calming. yes thats what it is!!

rupz: yes yes. theres another post coming up on the tortures. watch this space :D

Devi: firstly welcome here. secondly, plllease tell me u are an oriya. pl? i haven't had the pleasure of interacting with even one oriya in so many years of blogging :(
Devi said…
Am absolutely an oriya...though my family comes from the Bengal Orissa border ..and like u have so much of bengali culture impact...i mean just like u mentioned in one of ur posts that u were in touch with Rabindra Sangeet and Ahe Daya Maya...I felt so much close to all that..being bought up in the same way..though have spent most of my life in Pune...love ur posts and can so much relate to it..keep writing :)
Samadrita said…
Haha I don't quite remember the days of my early childhood..but my mom says she never applied mustard oil on me in the first place.Whew!
Btw how did your biriyani turn out to be? :P
Scribbler :) said…
Yeah, smells, like music, can transport you to a totally different time/geographical zone. Every time I crave to go to Kolkata, I light a Chandan agarbatti (and the expensive Dusk candles stare back at me, amazed!).

And Quantas and Singapore airlines did not even know of these competitors!
Aradhna Mangla said…
:D I just used it again today! It was one of the first moisturizers I had ever tried.

Popular Posts