Slow down, take a walk instead.

Sometimes, it is the unfamiliar that is more comforting. How surprisingly satisfying it can be to nod at a stranger, watch kids unknown to you, play in a park, and walk an untrodden path.

It was this craving to be away from the familiar, my very own people and things, that took me out - along a bush walk trail, near our suburb. Called the ‘Callicoma walk’ within the Berowra Valley Regional Park, it is a 1 hr 45 mins trail. From home it makes for a good 2 hour walk. I didn’t go all the way to the end (Thornleigh), but did 3/4th of it and have come back with so many sights and sounds in my head, that its enough to make world peace :). Sandstone rocks, ferns, creeks, little birds, huge tall trees, lizards, and a favourite playlist on my iphone were my only company.

Next time this world irks you no end, just set off. Take a walk, literally. Nothing can beat a good walk.

Here are glimpses from my little hike.

IMG_0864 IMG_0865

IMG_0869 IMG_0870 IMG_0871 IMG_0882

IMG_0885 IMG_0886 IMG_0887 IMG_0888 IMG_0889 IMG_0890 IMG_0891 IMG_0892 IMG_0893 IMG_0894

IMG_0927 IMG_0910

IMG_0895 IMG_0942

Taken with my phone. Not great quality images, but good enough for a keepsake memory.

‘I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in’.  ~John Muir, 1913, in L.M. Wolfe, ed., John Muir, John of the Mountains: The Unpublished Journals of John Muir, 1938

Comments

suzanna said…
just reading this was so peaceful, poo, thank you baby, and keep walking. x.
Ohh sooz, i wish we could do some of this together! Thanks for stoppin' by :).
phish phish said…
beautiful!!!

...and right, next time the world irks me I will also go off on my own ‘Mumbai Callicoma walk' and come back with rich experiences of how to duck autos and trucks while taking care that I do not slip into the massive BMC hole bang in the middle of the road, inhale the heady black fumes of smoke, get chased by the majestic strays on the road, hear some extremely becoming remarks on my vital stats...

...well I think i'll just stay depressed...better for my health!
Anonymous said…
Oh my... thats awesome! I am so jealous.. I cant even begin to explain!! This must have been such an amazing experience!!
Phishphish: :(. But the beach? nariman point...marine drive? bandra? I'll walk just about anywhere when i'm mad :). Try it. and don't...i love mumbai.

Patty: when u are here, i'll take you for one, ok?

Popular Posts