When I was Away

Happy Earth Day, my lovelies! I’ve been postponing just about everything in my life for a little later. The ‘later’ like ‘tomorrow’ never came. So I forced myself to take a walk- apparently a walk clears your mind and multiplies thoughts in your head. So it did. And it has now left me so stimulated that I want to do everything this very minute!

Let me at least feel the satisfaction of translating my high into words, will then get the show on road :D.

Wanted to share the two absolutely worthwhile things I did in the last few weeks.

1. Watched Kannathil Muthamittal

2. Finished Reading Sea of Poppies by Amitava Ghosh

Kannathil Muthamittal is a film I’d been meaning to see for the longest time and finally did over mugs of steaming cha. Sometimes when I think of Mani Ratnam’s films, I can never really point to his best work, because each one is such a pièce de résistance. And with Kannathil, I look at him with the same reverence as I have for Ray. It was delightful to watch a Tamil film, owing to the fact that I do understand the language in bits, though couldn’t have done without the subs. (Can I let out a secret? I need subs for Engileees phillums too. Ma kasam their  firangi confounding accents can get the better of me :D) Kannathil Muthamittal, literarily translated as ‘A peck on the cheek’, had me thinking for a long while about adoption and children who cannot accept the reality when told. How hard it must be for both, the parent and the child. But that aside, do watch the film- rarely will you come across a film that indeed touches your soul…and watch it for Srilanka’s breath taking beauty and the civil war that didn’t let us see the other face of SL.

Sea of Poppies- OH. MY. God. What a tremendous book. Each and every line is a literary masterpiece, and I don’t for even one bit understand why this book didn’t win the booker (it was published around the time White Tiger was and Adiga won it). The language, the sheer amount of research that must have gone into it, and those characters had me asking for more. And I so can’t wait for the next in the trilogy. Any idea what its called?

So then, I have been up to all this monkey business. You?

And before I end- can I say a simple Thank YOU? No no, not in the ‘The Power of Positive Thinking’ sense. I really do want to thank you bloggiques, who I look forward to entertaining every day. Though off late I’ve barely written anything that’s even remotely hilarious. Still, it matters that you read. And send me emails out of the blue to say mostly good things :D. So then, Danke, for being around.

Comments

Scribbler :) said…
Happy to get a glimpse of your chirpy self again. Please go for walks more often :)

As for that movie I can't pronounce, where did you find a copy to view? I'd like to watch it if I can lay my hands on it.
Shachi said…
Haven't seen the movie or read the book - will do both :)

Oh - and I prefer subtitles for english films as well :P
Solilo said…
Aps, Love your new bg and header.

I have not watched that Tamil film but heard that's it is nice. Sea of Poppies is a good read. Did you read about Amitava Ghosh controversy?

BTW left you a DM. Did you check?\

--Solilo (solitalks)
@scribbler: i hope you got a wind of all that gratitude in the last para. Part of it was for ya. ((hug)) About the film. You Bong, you. first learn to pronounce, will then tell how you can get to see it :D .

@Sachi: :D both, like i already mentioned are well worth your time! And am glad you to belong to the 'i can understand what you say, Julia, lest I read it underneath' club :D

@Solio: Soliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, so good to have u here. :D Oh, what controversy?? Tweet me the link will ja?
phish phish said…
I watch English films with subtitles too...for one, I can't hear too well and whatever I hear, I don't get most of the times...heh heh
@phish phish: you exactly know my sentiments on that subject (hard of hearing) :D.
~G said…
you may find this site interesting. I did especially after just finishing the book. Take a look at the map etc...

http://www.ibistrilogy.com/

:)

Let me know..
@G: WOW! thanks for this. I placed my poppy :D

Popular Posts