Of Gods and accessories that please them

I am not a religious person. I am rather secular and offer prayers to the one(s) above. The ones above could  be Jesus, Zeus, Allah, Durga, Satyanarayan, Saibaba, Guru Nanak Dev –  just about any one who qualify as Gods. Having said that, it doesn't mean I don’t idol worship at home. I do. But this post is not about religion and idol worship. I don’t think I can churn out such an exalted post.

DSC_0007 A while back I lit a candle when the sun set – the act called ‘Shondha’  or ‘Sonjo’ as they refer to it in Bengali and Oriya respectively.  No thanks to the ultra sensitive smoke detectors (which btw, I set off 3 times, all because of the husband’s wretched Maach Bhaja/fish fry), I have to make do with an aroma lamp burner. Oh! yah, baby, I am a modern worshipper. So, my Gods have this spa like environment around them- inhaling whiffs of lavender perfume,  and the t-light candle serves for the Dia. Sometimes I also play Bhajans straight from my ipod Nano fixed to a portable speaker. I told ya, I am hip.

But, what I miss most about the entire set up is a conch and conch blowing/shankh bajano. I miss it so much. You know how you associated with different sights and sounds at different times of your life? I associate conch blowing with many things – as a primary school kid, shank bajano always reminded me that there was not much time left for the night to come- so buck up and finish those bloody chapters for the next day’s exams! As a a teenager, it only meant- ‘girl, you’re stuck now, no point asking ma if you can go out, even if its for 10 minutes.’ But as I grew, the sound of it relaxed me, gave me a sense of peace.

But the most special memory of conch blowing was during my wedding. The fact that my in laws live 3 floors below, made the conch blowing almost like a competition..I clearly remember, each time we heard sounds from the first floor, my mum picked our’s. There was a mini Pujo happening at our apartment. Each time people from the first floor blew the conch, it was our clue to blow our’s, coz something was about to happen. Either Totto was on its way up to our place or something on those lines . Our wedding was the most amusing one . So when the time for Bidai  finally came and mass tear glands were dutifully at work-  I could hear both, the shankh bajano at flat  404 and at 101. The 404 one sounded heart rending as hell, and the 101 one sounded happy and festive- Pujo like, heralding the new bride to her brand new family.

Amusing as hell , I tell you.

Digressed enough.

God, forgive me, for I am unable to offer you the sights and sounds you are familiar and comfortable with. It must be tough for you to live with the sounds in this house. And I also know, that you know, its difficult for me, with a 3 year old who insists on pressing the plus sign of the volume button till our neighbour’s eardrums burst. Perhaps you can help? Only divine intervention can stop us.

***************

PS: One more memory- Sunday morning – Mahendra Kapoor croooning away soon after the blowing of the ‘Shankha’- Mahaaabhaaaaaaaaraaaaat, Mahaaaabhaaaraaaaaaaaaat, Mahaaabharaat!

Comments

indranil said…
every pujos, (bangali samity durga pujo or Uttarayan kali pujo) there was the shaank blowing and uludhoni competition.. and for many years ranjit roychowdhuri, a.k.a. ranju da(h/o manju roychowdhuri) used to beat all the ladies in the shaank blowing competition... he had superman stamina....and i used to compliment him in the uludhoni segment. our combo was was great pair which hardly ever got beaten at least in the samity pujo campus.
Anonymous said…
Ha ha ha.. I remember the mahabaratha... as well...

You are such a modern worshipper... too much... I tell you!!

I'm not a 100% that devine intervention will help you in any way... :-) (ha ha ha)
Discovering M said…
I am sure if you search hard on you tube - you can download the blowing of shankh.. this will definitely increase your level of "hipness" :)
the pleasantone said…
ha ha ha ! totally cool worshipping!!! along with the times the God's need to adapt to more modern gadgetries and methods!!!! lol! lovely post!!!
Scribbler :) said…
Am sure the god's like the "spa like environment". They are stressed too you know, and a little bit of relaxation doesn't worry them :)
Nice one.
Debanjana said…
The Mahabharat part is superb. Reminds me of so many scattered memories....great post. Beautifully written
Neeraj Shinde said…
I like your thoughts on secularism! Different people are devoted to varied ways to please their Gods. Hindus fold their hands, Muslims bend their knees, some ring bells, a few blow counch and so on... The real idea of devotion lies in peace and harmony and as far as you work towards it, you are worshiping the almightly. The rest is a matter of choice and beliefs.
Good Post! I wish to follow you. Hope you don't mind that :) Keep up the good work!
Indy said…
Your PS brought back memories of Sunday mornings and watching TV! Sigh!
phish phish said…
aami shhankh baajate paari na and I am seriously ashamed of the fact...but it has always given me this feeling of immense peace and purity. Another charming quality that it brings out is that people, mostly from bengal & Orissa, involuntarily do a 'nomo' the minute they hear a conch.
Your wedding sounds like a hoot-and-a-half! Want more deets! Sounds like more than a para prem!

For me, it's the smell of dhoop that fills my senses. The sound of the shonkho reminds me of my dida.

Yes, Sunday mornings and 'Mahabhaaarath' are an important part of our growing up years. Followed by robaarer mangsho jhol bhaat!
Indy said…
Oh I remember " Mahaabhhaaraaat!!!!"

and thanks for the sunbeams...put that in a post on my blog! hehe
@IK: REALLY? How come i missed it? And u should have been there in the 101 camp for uludhoni, they were terrible. We beat them hands down in the wedding :))

@Pat: Ain't i hip :D :D. Oh please let there be divine intervention- all my migraines are partially coz of the TV. I so hate it. :(

Discovering M: I ctually found :p. Now my laptop will be in synch with the spiritual atmosphere.

@pleasantone; why,pleasantone, its a surprise finding u around. I thought u had traded your loyalties to this blog with your guests at home. A call will help. A blog post will do too.

@Scribbler: Oh yea they need it- with cardinal sinners like u, they are overworked as is :p. thanks for the 'nice' bit.

@Debanjana: write write. I want to read about those scattered memories. Am sure it will be quite a read :)

@Neeraj: thank you!! thanks for coming by :). You are welcome to 'follow me' as long as its virtually from my blog's side bar :D. I am not sure i'd like if u stalk me. :D.

Phish phish: babe, u reminded me why I even started writing this post- the fact that i can't blow it myself. And look how i digressed and write something totally different. :D. I am as ashamed as u are of not honing such bhalo barir bou skills. But in time i'll learn . Too bad I wont have a bou when i grow old...else would have passed on the job to her ;)


@Indy: I know i know- what wnt we give in exchange to be transported back to those days, no?

@M4: Oh thats our fav story. :D. You should come by for cha sometime to Sydney, promise, I wont spare u any deets :)). Read this and decide for yourself if u wanna hear: http://www.butkintuparantu.com/2009/02/there-are-few-stories-we-like-telling.html

And trust a bong to talk of food, in a completely unrelated post :D. You forgot Bhat-Ghoom after the robaar er mangsho bhat :)

Popular Posts