Still wallowing in memories

To get the bar of Cadbury fruit and nut and a 20 rupee note, I had to wait for one long year. And with each year, as we got older, I saw ma adding 5 bucks to the 20 and by the time i reached class 8 I was getting about 50 bucks and a bar of Cadbury. I also remember parting with the 50 buck once because you needed it more ..so u waited until ma went out of sight and then begged me to give you back your gift for an exchange of something, I don’t remember) .  And quickly you grew up, and got your first pay check. That’s when you bought me my first pair of Nike and took me for a joy ride on the retro blue Bajaj, around Tank Bund.

But these are not the best memories. I still like the picnic under our mango trees the best. And the early morning 4 am History and geography revisions we did together under the mosquito net on chilly wintery mornings.  You helped me with math, and i only wished you also helped me gulp down that steel glass full of milk, which you so diligently finished, while ma scowled at me. And I finally accept that I didn’t really mind you taking away my Atlas Sport star on our way back from school- I quite liked it- you were the head boy then, and it was only a pleasure to let you have my cycle. I was only jealous of one thing- your stamps. You could have given me a stake in them you know. I was your lil sis after all.

To this day, on Raksha Bandhan, I long to go back to those carefree days. Days we fought and made up with a quick exchange of orange candies. Days we had pillow fights, days you took me to the loo in the night coz I was scared of Vikram Aur Betaal. And you were the best ever when you held my hand and walked me on the roads, lest I got run over (did u do that because ma had asked u to?) . And da, ma still tells me you stood by the crib making faces and kept me entertained when I was a baby, while ma finished her chores. I imagine you making those faces when you stick out your tongue and roll your eyes for Aadi.

U were never really a sloppy bro- the types who sang phoolon ka taaron ka..but u stole ‘that rose for Ms Cicielia from Madhusudan aunty’s garden’  for me. And no matter how much you deny being soft centered, I saw you crying like a baby clutching my hand, never wanting to let go, when I left home, symbolically, during my Bidai.

Happy Rakhi (no no, I won’t wish the Sawant variety in a zillion years on you), da. Have a good one.

You can make an electronic transfer, if sending cash is difficult.

Comments

Indy said…
Oh my God....this made me cry...how sweeeet this was!And how nicely written! A capsule of your memories, of which I'm sure there are countless more! but thanks for sharing this with us! I can only hope that my own kids will have similar ones when they are fully grown(round the corner),and get what I lacked in my own life...sibling love...(age differences you see0! Well, Happy Raksha Bandhan to you both!!!
Scribbler :) said…
Damn, I forgot my waterproof mascara again. Will you stop writing these immensely touching and sweet posts??!! No, actually, don't. Want more of these :)

Loved the second-last and the last lines the most :)
Debanjana said…
Love the last line the best :)
the pleasantone said…
babe! i was always very fond of dipu da! he's the one who introduced me to the world of calvin and hobbes....and i remember when we were studying for exams and your mom and dad had gone to orissa...he used to make us breakfast before we dashed to college!!! sigh my turn to wish for a elder bro!!! happy raksha bandhan babe!!!
Starry-eyed nut said…
The last line is an award winning sentence, loved it!!! Loved the post over all too...childhood memories of siblings are the best....
Anonymous said…
So touching... I could almost see the little boy standing by the crib making faces! :)
Anonymous said…
Very touching post! I'm almost teary eyed. The steel glass full of milk, vikram betaal, early morning revisions inside the mosquito net remind me of my own childhood and the ubiquitous presence of my bro in it. thank you for bringing back so many lovely memories. :)
Tracer Bullet said…
very sweet... :) i missed tying rakhi to sanjay bhaiyya this year... makes me wanna write something for him... :)
Thanks a million all.
BUT here's also a promise I wont wallow in sentimentalism and mawkish thoughts YENNYMORE ...ummm atleast in the near future. I cross my heart :D :D

Popular Posts