A lifetime more, to come.

choti baatein, choti choti baaton ki hai yaadein badi

Bhule Nahin, beeti hui ek choti ghadi..

Indeed, its the small little nothings and gestures that has the greatest memory, and no, I haven’t forgotten a single one of those cherished moments.

The memory of the rubber band behind your back, tucked safely in your hands, stays safe with me. The memory that you wanted to profess your love with that fancy piece of plastic, will remain etched in the remembrance zone, forever.

Calvin and Hobbes has quite a different impression on me - they make me laugh, sure, but they also remind me of a XXL tee, a mighty old one, that came in as a parcel, from you, the very first time. It promised me a lifetime of love and seemed to say, I might not have all the money in the world to buy you your first gift, but I do have a sense of humor, am a sucker for the sentimental, and am in love with you, head-over-heels.

A 48 hour train journey with a back-pack, in an unreserved compartment, because your girlfriend asked you to spend a day more with her, at the risk of getting ousted from university, only told me, you wouldn't mind knocking on NASA’s doors, to reach the moon and bring it back for me. You are pretty capable of doing the unthinkable, for the sake of love.

You waited, what 6 years(?), to tell me that you were in love with me, when, all the while I gave you that indifferent nod in the elevator, everyday, and absolutely no acknowledgement during Pujo?  And you finally made an attempt with a silly email talking about Pune’s weather and MBA?? You remind me of Marquez’s, Florentino Ariza. But I think that email was the most endearing thing you have ever done.

The lie about the sudden move to America in December, and hence a rushed wedding in August was the only solution, it seemed then, to reduce the lingering distance and wait  between 3 floors and 4 long months. It was by far your best attempt, to show how far you can go to make a smile appear on your lady love’s face . Quite a lot, rather, for a smile. Your parents, am sure have forgiven and forgotten that lie, but your wife of 6 years, remains awestruck.

The night you decided to spend in the loo, by the pot, thanks to Old Monk and coke, I was distressed, but was also glad, you didn’t just stick to lemonade.

And don’t you think I have forgotten the time you were by my side- in the OT (you rightly say, you are the only one who knows me inside-out- from the intestines to your convoluted head- i know you the best, dearest ). I know it wasn’t too far back, but it seems like it was just yesterday. And yes, I am still jealous that you were the first to see her.

Bed teas, Sunday afternoon coffees, steam engine like snores, very very rare flower surprises, chicken curry with excess Garam masala, conversations from Amsterdam on a roaming SIM card, ludicrous fights,  ‘Amla’ Hair oil, a honeymoon with Voveran tablets, hyper acidity, love, laughter, sunshine, tears.

You’ve been mine for 6 years, you’ll remain that way, ceaselessly. Happy Anniversary.

Comments

Mustaf said…
Hi,

Happy Anniversary..you have rightly said and put those small incidents which make life more memorable. Specially, the OT incident is the sweetest of them all. Very cute post...
the pleasantone said…
Just so lovely!!! happiness always and more love with each passing year!!! !God bless you guys! hugs!!! iam such a sucker for emotional stuff! love you guys!
Indy said…
Oh Happy happy anniversary to you!!
Debanjana said…
Happy Anniversary to both of you. This is a lovely post KG...great one...
Anonymous said…
Aaww..this is a beautiful post Appu! wish you guys a lifetime of togetherness n more.
Starry-eyed nut said…
this is your sweetest so far...maybe because am a romatic sucker...but yes "chotti chotti baton ki hai batein badi"....wish you 60 more years ahead, as lovely as this :)
Rupz said…
hey !!! Happy Anniversary !!
indranil said…
Spellbound !!!!!!!!!!
and I like a fool always thought silence was more eloquent. But I pray that such a post is generated on the 60th anniversary as well.
phish phish said…
beautifully written baby...happy anniversary. May you fall in love with each other a little more everyday, for the rest of your lives...
Thanks everybody! :D
Scribbler :) said…
One of your best! You turned me teary-eyed...and I don't even have waterproof kajal on!! Shame I look like a dark-eyed lunatic at work :) Belated Happy Anniversary, dear.
Unknown said…
That was just beautiful!!! Happy Anniversary.

Popular Posts