Oddments

I asked this question to ma when I was in class 8- it was more of a rhetoric question, actually. But not once did I ever imagine that I will be asked a similar one, by my puny little three year old rascal.

Mishmash: Ma, tomollow we go to Tamanna house?

Me: No. She has school tomorrow.

Mishmash: I have school tomollow?

Me: Yes, you do.

Mishmash: Mummy has school tomollow?

Me: No. I am ‘big’ and am finished with school.

Mishmash: Big people no go school? Mummy no go school?

Me: That’s right.

Mishmash: When I be big? I big ma. Sharanya (a friend 4 months younger) small baby. I big . No school tomollow. Ok ma? Ok? Maa, ok? ok?

Me: Not ok.

Mishmash: waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

(I had asked ma, ‘how long should one endure school,  I am big enough to give it up’ . I was 12.)

*******************************************

This weekend told me living in Sydney was not going to be such an alien experience after all. We had an invitation packed weekend. The Sunday lunch was at a bong’s place. We had a double lunch invite (touch wood, I never had this kind of active social life back in India either). We dropped by at the first place and then went over to the second, bong lunch. The husband obviously had not bothered with breakfast- a bong lunch needed a lot of free space in the system. (So dutifully he downloaded, full marks to his super efficient metabolism and digestive system. Just like he can sleep where ever and whenever he wished to, he controlled his bowels, similarly. Its amazing. Really. ).

Anyway, we landed there- the first ones to land. Should have known, this was a bong get together and adhering to time was an insult. It only meant you have come to just eat and leave. On the contrary, reaching late and starting with drinks and entrĂ©es even if it is well past lunch time means, you are the true blue bong- the adda baaj bong. Soon the rest arrived and the adda began. After 2-3 pegs of Gin, things got clearer and the adda more passionate. Yes yes, coming to the point. And mind you this kind of adda can happen ONLY amongst the venerated pure bred Bengali. The topic in debate was- how to take over -a now in tatters tire company. Should they email Mamata didi or call her directly? One dada strongly objected to email- saying her juniors would never let the ‘voice’ reach didi. So the Dada in question would himself call Didi and explain their business proposition. The money to revive would come collectively- through various loans. The husband tried to interrupt and add his two pence- setting up an industry in Bihar was simpler than West Bengal-..before he could go any further, the dadas, ate, chewed and beat up this opinion supported by a hundred theories of how things had changed in WB.

And mind you me, this was not just another chat where one heard guffaws and snorts now and then- this was a full fledged serious discussion- how to revive a dead company. 4 dadas with Gin and lime in one hand and sheek kabab in the other, were going to save West Bengal, from its doom. had there been a dada or two, more, Didi would be summoned herself, to calm their soaring spirits.

Adda in its purest form, entertainment at its best.

*******************************************

The husband to be was visiting Pune. This was 8 years back. Roomies seemed disinterested in the entire event. Said they didn't have the time to pick him up. Actually, like clandestine revolutionaries they were all the while making those atrocious placards you see in the pictures below and recording dhin-chak hindi numbers. One of them I think reads- ‘Das band’, and the other reads “aami tomake khabo’ (meaning, i want to eat you – a personal endearment i often used, which was made rather public by a vishwaasghaat.)

                              tina6 tina7

They appear out of no where at the railway station with garlands and those placards with chiranjeevi and Rambha, to welcome Jamai-babu to be. If i remember right a few 5 rupee notes were also thrown in the air. And all the four danced the Govinda dance. A portable tape recorder perched on Pravi’s shoulder that played the cheapest songs ever in the history of Bollywood. Needless to say, I was  livid and didn’t know where to hide my face and was sure the man who arrived from Delhi, would take the same train back that very moment. But he stood there gloating, like a local MP. Almost as if no one in his entire life had ever showered such love. I guess that was his first (and last) ever moment of public glory. People standing on the platform gaped at the Tamasha. Some clapped. Some smiled. Most frowned. Like me.

Today, I am laughing my guts out. And praying fervently to gimme back those days- take me back, take me back- just for a day. Pretty, please?

****************************************

Comments

phish phish said…
...and then we promptly left for Kumar water resort, Lonavala...wore shiny purple costumes and celebrated valentine's day. give me back those days...take me back...take me back...just for a day...
Anonymous said…
Ha ha ha... I cant stop laughing... Such a nice post!!! So true.. ;-)

Also.. I so agree about kids these days.. they are more vocal than we were..

Hey.. you seemed to have an eventful weekend...
Starry-eyed nut said…
Wow that Pune railway station one is a masterpiece....lovely post...
Scribbler :) said…
bengali "adda" is really the survival of the loudest. the louder you speak, the more chances of you being heard (because everyone is talking at the same time.."passionately"). therefore the usage of the verb "mara" with the noun "adda". you literally have to "kill" (mara) other people's opinions and remarks in order to be heard :)
indranil said…
scribbler who posted just above me was brilliant in her deciphering adda "mara"..... "survival of the loudest" wow...... since i am god gifted with a high decibel normal voice, hence forth i shall only mara any adda
Came here via MM's blog. You's a funny chica, you know that?

Spot-on! I maean abso-bloomin'-lutely on the button about Bong lunches and adda! And the topic! Oh so quintessentially bong!! [bet ya' can't guess which part of the country I hail from ;p ]

And what 'laabh', re! At the station! Only a true blue bunch of maddies can come up with something so deleriously wonderful and riotously funny! Gotta love 'em!
@phish phish: eeeeeeeesh, I shudder to think of those purple hired 'swim suits' Have u got pics? Send send. Oh y
ean baby, take me back.

@Pat: :d glad i made u laugh.

@Starryeyed nut: Oh yes it was a classic for sure. Just that I refucsed to see it that way, then. I could have killed them. :D

@scribbler: Hahhha. good one :)))

@IK: u don't need to 'start'. from what i remember of u and those days- u had the loudest voice.
:D :D. Actually the women beat mena hands down in these sessions. I am write a post on just bengali women and their hugh pitched voices.

@Mama Mia me a Momma! : Pleasure seeing you here for the first time! Thanks for calling me funny. Helps a grouchy homemaker on dreary days like today. :D. BTW, are u known to Ms withinandwithout by any chance? Oh and all that Laab- uff it was too much to digest back then. Ekebare jongli bondhu. But yes looking back, feels priceless!

Popular Posts