Write

I had once told myself, if I have a total of even 3 people who read my blog regularly and said at least one good thing in 6 months, I will consider writing a book. 2 days back when I posted a link on FB, I was advised by many to seriously consider writing a book. That’s awesome advise, you know. I thought about it very seriously, really. And the more I thought of it, the more definite my decision to write got. I wanted to know how it would change my life, and just you see the brilliant responses I got from myself -

So, if I agree, and start writing a book-

  • I will have an excuse to not look for a job any further. Screw recession.
  • At the pretext of writing a book, I could go to the harbour bridge and sit on a quaint bench with my laptop and pretend writing funny stories.
  • Since Raj is also of those who wants me to pen a book, I could ask him to fund a trip to London,where my story will be set- I need to see the city and know it, to put my characters on strategic streets and tube stations, right?
  • I could also ask him to buy me a Sony Vaio, or a Mac book pro where I can write my book. Need inspiration, no?
  • I can start sending Meeshu to day care on all 5 days instead of 3- I need my space you see?
  • I can ask Raj to cook, need time you know.
  • I can ask Raj to clean and scrub too, I’ll have some more free time then. So while he is in the kitchen, I languish on a deck chair, in my bay-facing terrace.  Writers need to think, fool.
  • Oh, the best part of it all- I can sit by a cafe and eat endless doughnuts and cha, because each time I dig into a doughnut, I get a million story ideas.
  • And when I get a writer’s block, we could go to a romantic getaway, to New Zealand, perhaps, to reignite my imagination.

Besides all this, when someone asks me this reaally annoying question (almost all do), if I have finally secured a job, I can say in  a husky voice- eh, well, I am writing a book these days…i don’t plan on doing these stuck-in-a-rut job any longer’.  I am tired of blaming the recession and waiting for Obama.

So, its a decision. KG will write a book after all.  The benefits are far too lucrative to be ignored. Please stop jeering. A lot of people have really said I write well. IK went on record saying, my writing style is incomparable. And am sure he wasn’t buffooning around, in his trademark style.

Comments

the pleasantone said…
i dont know whether you will be able to languish on a deck chair while raj is in the kitchen...but i love the idea that you should and must write a book......start pronto ...waiting for your first few pages...if you are gonna share and write my name in the acknowledgements.lol! so just Write!!!
i was already jealous that someone gets to sit and blog and socially network from home all the time...and now this.

Hell, u r going to write..full time? Plus all those added benefits that you just mentioned. I want to write a book too...problem is, no one ever told me that I could :-p. I want to borrow a few of your friends...can I?

On a serious note, you will rock. So just go ahead and start. Right away.
phish phish said…
yay! this is just what you should be doing :) seriously! All the best girl...
indranil said…
() dont go the sony vaio.. its only showbiz and no substance. it works better only if Eva Green is around :P

() your idea of sitting in a cafe and having doughnuts comes right out the life of J.K. Rowling as she sat in cafes to * beat the cold * a place to work * the cheapest food to eat as she penned the life and times of a Potter.

() been to the Oscars. havent been to the Grammy or the Bookers.. let me know when your book comes out of print, i need to plan my trip accordingly for the award ceremony. Lets be honest.. you are not Nobel material... Booker is an ambitious but acheivable gaol..

()and Y the Dickens does it have to be based in London? Its getting hackneyed and so run of the mill... Go for the exotic locales like Aruba or Taihiti and weave your dreams there....walk the unknwon.

() be different .. write in 3rd person singular number and at the end merge it as first person singular number. that the way Julius Caesar used to interact.. well at least Gosciny/Uderzo tells us so in his animations.. :D

() or make the book conversation-alist.. you are a fantastic describer and recorder of the bla ba bla between individuals.

till then mate let's raise our Mojitos for a round of inspirational cheers !!!
Joe Pinto said…
My dear KG,

Go to the nearest library and get yourself any book by Art Buchwald or Ogden Nash. I love your list of the benefits of writing a book - everything, but writing!!!

Two suggestions on a more serious note. Write about food, people conversing and pack it with description. The best writer to read, while describing, is Somerset Maugham.

Go for it, KG!!

Warm regards,
- Joe.
@ALL: Thanks for this blind faith in my capability :D. But this post was meant in jest...:).

@sir: I have read a bit of Maugham, and love him to the bits. I have been spending too much time with the new age writers.
Unknown said…
Mac book pro!!,deck chair bay facing terrace.... holiday to london, endless doughnnut n cha....wahhh!

Now you HAVE to start writing a book:)
neha vish said…
You should write. Immediately. Like there's no time. Never mind everything. I keep making the mistake of thinking that I will find time. Instead all I need to do is find madness - fit everything into some mad pocket.

As for London - you know where you have to stay no? And while you write - I will cook for you and happily listen to your drafts. :)

Popular Posts