Two names

But why can’t I wear black?

Because its your wedding, Titash. Our wedding, rather. How can you think of wearing black?

Oh please, Rajan. You make me nervous you know, with this sudden interest in superstitions. Since when did you start believing that colours could bring bad luck?

But, who is talking about bad luck here? All I am saying is, its our wedding, so wear something peppy, happy, bright. May be a blue? Please, Tits!

Stop calling me that…sheesh! its disgusting.

Its only me babe, I like calling you that…you look adorable when you go all wonky..you know, your nostrils flare up!!

Raaaaju! Shut up.

Now why would you want to call me that? All servants back home either have that name or have named one of their sons that.

What do you expect? You think Rajan is a very hep name, as is?

Why not Raj?

Cause it sounds filmy. And you don’t possess half of Srk’s charisma nor do you have his kind of money. That’s why.

Forget it. So its blue, then?

NO. Black.

Tits, please.

If you don’t stop calling me that, I’ll call the wedding off.

Why couldn’t your parents name you something better? TITASH.  Sounds like a bad car crash. What the hell does that mean?

First, stop abusing. My name came from a movie. It was Ritwick Ghatak’s film- Titash Ekti Nodir Naam. It means, ‘A river named Titash’. That’s how I got it. My parents adored Ghatak’s films. There is so much depth in his films. I think its a well thought name. What is Rajan any way?  So down market.

Ghatak? who the hell is that? Rajan means a king. How majestic. My parents gave me a name with potential and personality. Not some frivolous movie name! And that’s exactly how you are behaving, like your name- frivolous.

Frivolous?? You call Ghatak’s films frivolous? Is that what you think? Oh damn. I should have known who I was marrying. Someone who doesn’t even know who Ghatak is! Its a shame to my family. No wonder Baba was so against this wedding. He must have seen a lack of depth in you…oh you are so hollow.

Hollow my ass. How can you be so nasty? I love you. How can you suddenly become so different. I just saw someone so different in you. Do you really give a damn about who Ghatak was? 

Yes, I do, Rajan. Ghatak matters to me, the way Ray does, Saurab Ganguly does, Rasogulla does. Mohan bagan does. Uttam Kumar does. Bongness matter to bongs. You can’t get away with a single word of slander against anything remotely bong. And if you really want to marry me, you have to marry my bongness along with me. If you can’t do that lets call it quits.

 

There you go again. You can’t keep calling off the wedding every five minutes, babe. OK, I won’t comment about your name any further. But you have to promise me something.

Anything at all. But never ever provoke the bongness in me.

Done. Now will you wear this Blue silk, tomorrow?

Ok. *smile* *hugs*

I love you, Raju.

I love you, Tits. Ummm… by the way…who is Uttam Kumar...?

Comments

the pleasantone said…
ha ha ha ha ha! cant stop laughing , aps babe you are tooooo funny!!!! Tits??????? and raju???????? omigod!
indranil said…
brilliant......smiled after a long long time.... may be ages. how could you break into my melancholy......

i mean the real Indranil... not the guy u all know
Tracer Bullet said…
doesnt know ritwik ghatak??? maar saale ko!!! raaju kahika!!! :D :D
indranil said…
after the Satyam circus, Rajus seem to be the favourite bashing boys for all.. even if a non cnnected raju did no fraud but is on offense by not knowing who a certain ghatak was.....
thanks people!
@kaku: glad I could make u smile...though its beyond me to imagine a sombre Indranil kaku. The satyam angle was funny..i didnt think of it!

Simi: there is much sarcasm in this darling...your sister will see :)
Gargi said…
bongness matters to bongs...and how!! way to go apu!:)
Dearest Sis,
It warms the cockles of my heart to read your first "shout out" to the free-for-all world of writing! Enjoyed it thoroughly. Your writing has a certain earthy charm to it. But (the most dreaded word in literature), towards the end you let off Rajan too easily, like you finished the piece off just so that you could take the boiling of milk off the stove. Know what I mean, the ending seemed a bit rushed! Am not here for appetizers, serve me the full dish sweetheart! :) Looking forward to enjoying more of what you can dish out. More comments to follow. The above ones are off the cuff, hence most honest and undiplomatic :) Love you and missing you too Sis.

Mahesh
neha vish said…
How utterly wonderful! :)
Anonymous said…
Heheh ..So cute :)

I am not a bong but get offended when an outsider ridicules "the bongness". Hey! Only I have the right to do that!

By the way he could have called her Ash instead of Tits.. :)
@choco: :) thanks. Oh he could call her by many names- a la kaminey- 'Tashi' also :D. But i was trying to think like a man for rajan, u see? :D
Madmax said…
Beautiful. In my case as well TITASH had been inspired by the same Ghatak film. But I like "Titir" better. Infact I have a weakness for names starting with "T", and as much as I would have loved to have my progeny named with "T", I cannot as the norm in our clan is to name everyone with "S". Has been, for 4 generations now.

And I repeat what I told you before, you should focus on screenplays. I have been tasked by my wife to write up the script for a skit for her students to enact during Diwali. Why don't I outsource it to you ? :-)
Anonymous said…
ROFL! That was absolutely awesome! Still giggling.

Popular Posts