Pati, Patni aur Groceries

Talking about groceries during Pujo itself shows how detached I am from all festivities in this region. But I shall crib no more, lest you stop paying visits to my virtual space. So then, groceries.  Lets talk about how grocery shopping can completely ruin a perfectly happy evening. We know that its an inevitable part of every normal married life. Just like making breakfast, polishing one’s shoes and paying bills are. But why does it disturb (some) men SO much? I mean, don’t these help us get by through the week? So why does my husband behave like he has been asked to clean poop? I ain’t kidding. His face really distorts and I see anxiety lines and and expressions one witnesses during extremely stressful situations, at the mention of ‘weekly groceries’.

Some conversation samples:

 

Him: Shall we do it the day after tomorrow?

Me: No eggs, no bread, no veggies.

Him: Fish?

Me: Nope.

Him: fine. today then. *making goo face*

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Him: You go to the veggie section, i’ll go to the meat section. We’ll be done in 15 minutes flat.

Me: Is this some sort of a race? I’d like to check out some stuff.

Him: uff. Fine.

Me: Ufffffffffffffffffffff. Theek ache. Ato ghyan ghyan korte hobe na (why u getting irked?)

Him: Aami ghyan ghyan korchi na (I am not)

me: You get mishmish. I am going home.

Him: Oho. Chill na.

Mishmash: I want tooooooooooooooooooy. waaaaan!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Him: I thought we got 5 kilos of rice just a few weeks back? Need more already?

Me: I don’t have rice, Meeshu has half a bowl every day, we don’t exactly have a lot of guests home. You do the math.

Him: Fine. You don’t have to blame me for everything.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Him: Are  you sure we need baked beans? I thought I saw a tin the other day.

Me: *Putting it back and heading straight to the cash counter*

Him: What the hell happened?

Me: Nothing. we are done.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Me: Ran out of onions

Him: mid week shopping sucks . arrrrrgh!

me: I’ll get them tomorrow. Don’t start now.

Him: Fine.

*after sometime*

Him: do you need only onions?

Me: you are going?

Him: might as well.

me: sweet. Have cha and go.

Him: Nope will come back and have. Have run out of cigarettes.

me: Aha.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Him: You know babe, u must learn driving.

Me: Oh yeah? Just so this one thing that u help me with, will also be done by me?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some of his expressions:

Outside supermarket: *Feeling Zen about life*

Inside supermarket: *Life is a bitch*

Inside Supermarket mid way: *I wish I was a bachelor again*

Inside supermarket when wife is at the plastic dabba section* : *Goo face*

Cash counter: *Acute Trauma*

Outside with the shopping cart: *ready to cry*

While dumping groceries in the boot: * dead beat*

In the elevator: *I need a chilled beer*

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Him: I’ll help u with the groceries ok?

*disappears*

*reappears again checking his Blackberry*.

*Disappears*

*reappears again after groceries are stocked up*

Hey, want a glass o wine?

And mmmm what’s for dinner?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The one time I let him go shop alone, he came back with shocking pink, Raspberry flavored garbage bags. Apparently the garbage won’t stink even if i don’t throw it away for a week!!! And yes, chucking garbage falls under his to-do list.

 

(You know why this upsets me so much? Because exactly 6 years back, grocery shopping was the most romantic thing to do, together. Look how perspectives change).

Comments

Starry-eyed nut said…
Gosh I thought it was only AJ, I should have known better!
Though AJ does agree on weekends once in a while, on weekdays if I mention grocery he looks like I asked him to get me "sanjeevani mountain." So to cut out the unpleasantness/arguements I just do it myself. Now the problem is since we use the same car he cribs about being made to wait while I pick up the stuff :(
Ughhhhhh....The most irritating of all questions is "How did this get over?" It is not like we got a krishna promise (like Draupadi) that our groceries would never get over :)....
I can so relate to this post, esp the moods you describe!
the pleasantone said…
Babe ,i laffed my head off!!! (this said in total Indian accent) cool write-up keep them coming!!!!
Mustaf said…
I don't understand why the ladies can't do some simple maths and estimate what all is needed for just one week so that we can do it on weekends. After my wife prepares the list, I ask her to check twice/thrice and still on Wednesday inevitably, I have to again go for the missed items.Sometime even i apply my intelligence, double the amount she mentioned and still it falls short!!! It is still good as long as it is limited to shopping only, but when it goes to "just checking things out"..i just leave everything on almighty.

Hope my wife does not see this comment, nothing srs will happen, may be she will just make this mid week shopping a regular strict routine :)
Jesus you are funny... or are you... upset... :-(

I love these posts... makes my resolve stronger... I shall remain happy for some more time :D

Keep writing mate...
@starry eyed: :D. This is a universal phenomena. Trust me. lol to the Krishna promise :D :D

@pleasantone: am glad i made u laaagh :).

@Mustaf: Miyaan, you are treading on unsafe grounds. pray, what do ya mean by ' i don't understand why ladies..." Why can't men make lists? I'd like to know if this is part of any Holy scriptures or is this a govt policy? I tell my husband too, who cribs quite like you at times that, if u think u can do it better, whoever the hell stopped you?? he retreats at that. Your comment can get feminists to take out morchas on the streets and threaten to imprison you :D :D :D. so mustaf bhai, be careful. mmmm can I have your wife's email id?

@As the meanders: Good to see u here. been seeing you meandering about the blogsphere. :). Funny this was and extremely upsetting too. How simple pleasure in life at one point in time become nightmarish in marriages. yep, you are better off happy :)
oRange* said…
haha! im new to ur blog and im loving it :D

btw, i hate grocery shopping too :S
im gonna make my hubby do all that!
Anonymous said…
LOL!! ROFL!! This is so funny !! We have a similar scene at our place too :) So I am not he only one!

This is brilliant :)
@orange: thanks for stopping by :). Glad i could make you laugh. This worlds a better place with laughter around :)...rings true for virtual spaces too! :)

@IHM: :D thanks. If u know how to cope, you might wanna share a few tips to make husbands leap with excitement at the mention of groceries!
Mustaf said…
Aree..i can give you my wife's phone number, but u wopuld be disappointed..because for groceries it is only me, for veg sometimes she accompanies me & sometime she does it.

And i know had i posted the same comment on some other blog, i would have been already hurled grenades!!!:):)

BTW, you picked that Miannn from HYD correct :P?
Yep fromhyderabad .. Where else! I absolutely adore the hyderabadi Urdu.
Ayn Zoya said…
Hell yes! And with K, these reactions are not restricted to just the groceries. I am given exactly 10mins in any shop/mall to decide what I want.. a single minute beyond that means - a slideshow of all those faces you described!! :(

Happy puja :)
Indy said…
Oh dear! Yes, I can imagine that 6 years ago what was romantic is now a chore to get through in a hurry! Don't worry, men are alwasy like this! Mine always frowns,"milk(bread, salt yada yada) over already?" What to do, such is life! :)
Madmax said…
Brilliant !! Simply brilliant. I just could not help laughing my head off. And yet, could identify with each of the snippets. The one about the baked beans takes the cake.

In our case, it inevitably happens with the ice creams (my wife is on a 'supposed' diet and I am supposed to be her Guardian Angel to ensure she can resist temptation). It's a Catch22 situation. I get emotionally blackmailed if I stop her from eating Ben & Jerry's and I get yelled at if I let her indulge.

Let me see if I can come up with the 'guy's perspective on grocery shopping'.
indranil said…
i may be wierd but i love this grocery shopping trips... i just cant wait to be dragged along... we have every thing earmarked with almost war like precision. she does super fast rounds picking all and sundry she requires, then spends the next 15 minutes dragging me out of the chocoate section... or if she cant find me there she runs to the magazine section and literally pulls me out before i box the counter guy for not showcasing the latest Debonair or their inability to distribute Playboy...oh i love these shopping trips............. Oooooooooh lala
Awww!

For me, grocery shopping expeditions make up some of my strongest childhood memories. It was family bonding time.

But after reading your piece, I wonder what baba really thought!
Anonymous said…
OMG...this was a hilarious one! I can actually add many more snippets to these that have B n I in it. Maza aa gaya!!:D
@Ayn: know what..i think we should go on a strike! lets not talk about groceries and wach them live off fresh air and lowwwe!

@indy: so tell us, you much more experienced...does this only get worse?? :(

@Madmax: happy you stopped by! ben and Jerry's situations arise rather often in my household too...:D . thanks for stopping by :). can't wait for the guy perspective! bring it on!

@IK: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why am I not surprised :). Raj spends and awful amount of time in front of the wine section..i should have mentioned that here!

@M4: were'nt u in the US then? Am sure it was fun. Bajaar is always fun! I just don't see why my better half gets put off by it!!
@lilmorethanmommy: i can imagine babe..these snippets can run into a book. i think we should compile a book with these snippets!!
Rose said…
*grin*
Who knew the grocery war of the sexes would be such fun to read! But yeah, it's the same for me and mine too. We're fine all the while in the mall...we enter the supermarket and the mysterious back pains begin...the sudden fierce sleepiness...the memory of 100 things to be done elsewhere....I think most men share the state you mentioned whilst in the supermarket... life is, but a beach.
Amit G said…
Hehe good read. War of sexes is always a fascinating read.

However your last statement left me a bit worried. We are in you "6years earlier" phase now and i wish i do not face these conversations later.

Off i run to the supermarket. I need to grow the interest before it get late thanks to my lazy sleepy mind!
Rupz said…
hahaha.. I am laughing my head off !
Your writing is hilarious !

Well, my hubby would rather get a poke in his eye with a needle than do grocery. Thus the whole onus of having eggs/bread/milk at home is on me !

I don't even want to get started .. Aparna.. Ki bolbo ? My blood is boiling...
Anonymous said…
Ha..ha.. this made an interesting read.

Can I confess? I hate grocery shopping and yes! I am a woman. So only way to escape is make a crisp list and finish off fast. Husband too helps. We rarely do grocery together. It is either him or I who pick things. Most easy things like Milk/egg are picked by him but you know the ingredients and stuff you need for special cooking..that I do. Still I hate it. In US, you have no other way so I do it. :D :D
@Rose: mole, let collectively think of how to get the non shoppers to shop :D

@amit: hi there, thanks fortheuy dropping in :). That you say, you don;t wish something like this doesn;t happen to you itself tells it wont. :). Keep us posted what happens 6 years down the line!

@rupa: oho, raag kore kichu hobe na. like i said..we need to strategise :)

@phish phish: how do u manage? :D

@Solilo: Hi solilo, so good to see u here :). Well, its good that both hate it. and the fact that husband helps, means much too! The issue is when the couples hold opposite opinions :, which is usually the case. You are just lucky and hence, happy :D
Debanjana said…
I completely, absolutely, totally identify with this....Amitava came back with swiss chocolates, a pair of tongs, and prill....when I sent him once....didn't bring any of the essential items from the list.
Vinita Apte said…
oh god..oh my god....you just described my grocery shopping...heheh why are men like this?

My Hubs is just the same...the same questions and the same looks...

Popular Posts