Pat and Arnab (Part 4)

Patrali: Wish I was in India, at least these two months.

Arnab: Awww…missing home? 

Pat: mmm. Food. All this craving isn’t helping. And Pujo. Can’t feel a thing here. Ma must be busy getting blouses stitched for her new sharis. *Sigh*  Jhuma am sure has bought 20 salwar Kurtas this time. B****.

Arnab: True true. Aww craving is she? What does she want?

Pat: Mitu wants Puchka, Mutton roll, Kobi raji, Moghlai porota, chicken cutlet, uffff. *Wistful sigh*

Arnab: Poor little thing, you’ll give her acidity with all your talk. Erm, who decided on ‘Mitu’? You?

Pat: Yep.  I can’t leave such an important decision to you or your family. What if you guys name her ‘Tultuli’, like your cousin? Imagine being stuck with a name like that all your life!

Arnab: Arrre, its a sweet name. ‘Daak- naam’ should always be sweet. Let’s call her Pommy.

Pat: Listen lets drop this. We’ll pursue when its time. And Arnab, Pommy? Wouldn’t u rather name your Pomeranian that? *scoffs*

Oh how i wish I could have just one teeenyweeny bite of a Malpua. This is such a torture. Oh Maaaaa!

Arnab: Oh poor you. Let’s then go to Shipra’s house? Rajat called.  Said Gopa di is coming too. She will feed you well.

Pat: Na baba. I’d rather stay home. You call Gopa mashi, didi? She is your mum’s age, you know.  But I remember last time she took such an offence because I called her Gopa mashi..No  wonder she adores you, and literally glares at me.

Arnab: Hahahahha. You went wrong with a  fundamental rule, babe. Refer to all ladies who are older to you by 10 years or less by their name.If they are 10 plus whatever, simply call them didi. No mashima business what so ever.

Pat: Jaaa Taaa complex women have. Forget it. Listen, lets go on a holiday, na? At least I won’t feel so forlorn.

Arnab: Mmmmm… we can. But I really don’t enjoy  going on holidays these days with just you.

Pat: I’ll let that pass.

Arnab: Ufff. Don’t get mad at everything I say. You know how much I miss adda. Just that it gets boring with just you and me..I wish we could go on a holiday with a nice group of…

Pat: lemme complete that for you…a nice group of Bangalis. Really Arnab, for the first time, your so called bongness has let me down. You are probably the only bong who is not as romantic as his fellow bongs. One thing always struck me about you fellas, back then u know. Your amazing appetite for love. Die hard romantics. And age has nothing to do with it. I know adda means much, but saying something that is so outright unromantic is not so bong after all. Wasn’t it your idea to hit Victoria memorial, and sit underneath an umbrella, have jhal muri and talk of times that were yet to come? Whatever happened to that? The only reason I married one of you, maane, a bong, is because of this crazy streak. Do you even remember the day you bagged that job and you came to propose? You came with a stick of Rojonigondha (lily), because you couldn’t afford a Dutch rose. But you seemed the happiest. We ate at Kanai’s- Jilipi and Shingara. And you sang that ridiculous song for me….

Arnab: babaaaaa. You look like Suchitra, when you are angry.

Pat: Baje kotha bolo na to.

Arnab: *Animatedly sings* 

Ar kichudin tarpor bela mukti,
Kashba’r oi neel dewal-er ghar
Shada-kalo ei jonjal-e-bhora mitthe-kothar shohore,
tomar amar lal-neel shangshar

Pat, I’ll love you always with the same passion of a romantic fool.  Pack your bags. Its a road trip, baby!

 

Pat: *Hides an evil grin and thinks* – It ALWAYS works….just provoke the ‘Bangali hero’ in him.   Hero!!! thinks he is Uttam Kumar *sniggers*.

Comments

phish phish said…
:D :D I so relate to these posts...looking forward to the next installment. and btw one of my mom's daak naam is tultuli...heh heh
Debanjana said…
Oh! Oshadharon...I completely love this one. And I love this Patrali and Arnab combo...superb. Keep weaving more of this.
I wish Amitava was a bit of an Arnab category. He is one of those 'beshi-bangla-na-jene-besh-korechi brigade....I so hate that!!!!
Scribbler :) said…
I take offence at this one...my "daak naam" is Tuli..just a "tul" short of the name you laughed at :(

Jokes apart...this post really read like a scene from a well-made Bengali movie. Has great cinematographic potential (said with the seriousness of a just-out-of-college-but-i-still-know-better-than-most film student!!)
indranil said…
let me add my 2 penny on this....

every true blooded bong lad thinks himself to be the re-incarnation of Uttam Kumar coupled with the talent of a Ray. the intellectulas and the pseudo-a(n)tels relate to Soumitro Chatterjee- Ritthik Ghatak more as a social statement.

but bongs even if they are thoroughly romantics at heart,(to the extent what Bernard Shaw had categorized as romantic fool), evolve differently with age. its no more a we-2 trips alone or cozying with a coffee but they need to relate with a group of like-minded gang... the couple effect slowly translates to group dynamics. i have seen this with many-a couples as they start getting senior.

slowly and with time they re-discover their romanticism while in the comfort zone of a known group and then life becomes hunky dory again.

as brilliant example you could start analyzing the group your parents went along with last week for that short week end trip...

Q.E.D................ :P
HAHAHAHA!! ROTFLMAO!!

My once-upon-a-time romantic hero has now become a romantic zero! The condition, if I'm not mistaken, is thanks to something called 'Biyey'.
Anonymous said…
oh durga puja! dhaake porlo kaathi.. and the soft glow of sun and siuli.. missing kolkata badly!

why do i feel that ur love story is no different? ;) is it really completely fictional? or highly influenced? :) Shall keep visiting for more :)

Bengalis = die-hard romantics! Not a single romantic dialogue ever goes by without lots of tears rolling down. And i am not a cry-baby..mind u :) its in blood, I guess.
Anonymous said…
oh durga puja! dhaake porlo kaathi.. and the soft glow of sun and siuli.. missing kolkata badly!

why do i feel that ur love story is no different? ;) is it really completely fictional? or highly influenced? :) Shall keep visiting for more :)

Bengalis = die-hard romantics! Not a single romantic dialogue ever goes by without lots of tears rolling down. And i am not a cry-baby..mind u :) its in blood, I guess.

Popular Posts