Asche Pujo

Every other person I know is in a Pujo mood. Ma is getting her blouses stitched, Baba busy collecting Fab India kurtas. Pujo committee meetings in random bong homes  are taking place every evening and luchis are being fried already in anticipation of Pujo. And to make things worse I have at least 5 people sporting Pujo related status messages. I am gonna cry, right here, right now.

I want to smell the smell Scribbler talked of in her post.

I want to buy new clothes for every day of Pujo,

I want to eat double dim and chicken er roll, kobiraji and Moghlai porota.

I want Mishmash to run about with Ishaan around the ‘pandel’ and beg me for ice creams.

I want Raj to stand amongst his old friends and their wives and talk of old times and slip out for a smoke.

I want to do PNPC with kakimas, mashis,  mad Tracer and her not all that mad, but mad nevertheless, sister, and my dearest Mooooon.

I want to bum free cha and fruit juices off kakus.

I want to stay up late night listening to local bands crooning tunelessly.

I want to check out new courting couples, quick exchange of glances, and the signs of this generation’s first courtship.

I want to wait endlessly for Bhog, and rush to get chairs for the entire friend, family and extended family group waiting to be seated.

I want to simply sit under the tree near the stalls, and listen to bachcha antakshari, and their fights.

I want to sit behind a row of kakimas and listen to them gossiping about whoever.

I want to have Radha ballabi for breakfast.

I want to rush to give pushpanjali on Ashtami.

I want to sway along with the dhaaker awaaj.

I want to see ladies in crisp fluffy new Taant er shaari.

I want to feel bad on Navami that its all ending.

I want to go hug everyone in my sight on Bijoya.

I just want to be pujo-happy.

I want to be able to see Ma, Baba on Pujo. Nothing can be worse than spending a Pujo without them. Nothing.

Jaaa…Kende Phellam. :((

Comments

Wistful musings and how well your post catches the mood perfectly. In Kerala, too, the 'Pooja veppu' as we call it is almost a week long string of festivities in every home. New clothes are bought, new snacks are made, special pujas are done at home and it is such an important festival for the kids in every home. The anticipation of this festival itself is so beautiful. Just reading your post brought it all back to my memories and I feel so miserable that I am away from home.
phish phish said…
oh baby...hugs....basic pujo'ness' will not change...Hyderabad or Sydney. Have a happy pujo :)
chandrimawrites said…
Praye eshe gelo! Have a Happy Pujo! :)
Ayn Zoya said…
isshh!! I want it all too :( the warmth of sun in this month, siuli flowers :( incessant loud music from the pandals :( and so much more!
Scribbler :) said…
I was trying hard to think of any aspect of pujo that you might have missed...I couldn't. You have captured all those little moments that make pujo so "miss-worthy" :(
Rose said…
It all sounds lovely...and I can almost sense your sadness at not being a part of it...a part of all past traditions. *Hug* MAke a few of your own babe...I have no idea what all this is about...but a happy Pujo to you...be happy - you are loved!!
indranil said…
yes... missing pujo..... today listened to mahalaya on my lap top snoozing away in moscow....

the only thing i am not missing in your list, watching "new courting couples, qucik exchange of glances, and the sign of this generation's first courtship"

i cant miss it.. i am the protagist every year.. :P :P :D
and every pujo brings in some one new to interest me.. :D :D
Anonymous said…
You have so captured the essence of Pujo in this post...I could picture everything (mostly from my childhood in traditional north Calcutta), before my eyes.. :)
Happy Pujos to you...
NR said…
Yup festive season is definitely on here in Kolkata now. Its great to b a part of this lovely festival. Lol u have a pretty long wish list!!

Nice blog..and its commendable that u r managing 4 blogs!!
keep blogging!!
Starry-eyed nut said…
loads of hugs...i culd feel your need to be here in your post. This time of the year (till holi) is awesome...the air is different..but am sure u will have a lovely pujo in aussie land as well :)
Primitive Lyric said…
Happy Pujo Aparna! I'm sure you'll manage a wonderful Pujo even far away from home:)
Your post is making me wonder about Christmas. This year, I want it to be extra special coz I want Adiv to understand and enjoy its significance. I want it to be more than just Rudolph the red nosed reindeer, presents, and Santa. I want him to know it's a time when family comes together. I want to make all those christmas specials, decorate a tree with him, tell him a Christmas story over a mug of hot chocolate, and thereby create the best memories for him.
:)

Roopa
Aaahaarey! Choley aai naa! Ei bochhor naa holeo, aashchey bochhor.

We'll do EVERYTHING you talked of...and more!

Start planning girl, from now, for next year!
Debanjana said…
amio kede phellam
Rupz said…
oh this can make me cry any moment now ! good that I am in office :(

Surely the things you wrote..... Only when I came here, I started realizing what all I am missing.

Don't get upset ... :D You can attend the sydney version :D

Happy Pujo !
@swapna: yes being away from home during festivals is a miserable feeling! But don't give up on doing all things traditional for your lil one on those sepcial days!

@phish phish:thanks janeman :). Sydney pujo is short n sweet. I have some hilarious accounts will i will tell u when i meet u. BTW, thats gonna be soonn. Kee a weekend free. I am plannng a reunion of the pune roomies at HYD. call ya soonish.

@ Chandrima: Thank you, gal! u have a good one too :). *hug*

@Ayn Zoya: Am sure toder oikhane khub bhalo pujo hoye, na? But i know this Pandal hopping business and gulping goodies down your throat can be done back home only. But lets not be so wistful :). Happy Pujo!

@Scribbler: :((. My next set of tears is reserved for Kali pujo :((

@IK: hahaha. protagonist you indeed are in our HBS pujas. My initial years in Hyd, i looked at u and Mashi is sheer awe..at the way you both organised programs, and sharakhkhon haha-heehee with every age group. My choto kaki who visited us once during pujo hated the hyd pujo, but said, except for that young couple (u and mashi), i couldn't spot one enthusiastic young face :). prejudiced, i know...but well, she was true in a way!

@rose: awww thanks babe :). feel loved!

@choco: happy oujas to u too girl. Pandal hop and eat on my behalf too!

@ nazish rahman: hey there, thanks for dropping by :). my wish list is never ending :)). Thanks again and eid Mubarak and happy Pujas!

@ starry eyed nut: HUGGG and loads of love to u too!

@ M4: eibochor jete parlaam na aar. Kintu november e jachchi. Kolkata jawar plan hochche!! Yaaay!

@Debanjana: :(. Blr pujo aami dekhi chi- the koramangla one. didnt like it one bit :(. But i know the ulsoor one rocks..but bhishon bheed hoye. we tried going once, but couldn't manage getting in!!!

@rupz: thanks girl!! Happy pujas to u too. bari aaye, bhalo rendhe khawabo. :)

@
Mustaf said…
I could feel each of your emotions and when you said Kede fellum i know actually you did :( nothing worse than celebrating festivals away from your near and dear ones..I know what it feels like...
@mustaf: thanks ..thankfully have met some family like friends here and am hanging out with them this pujo. Eid Mubarak btw. Hope it was lovely! and happy pujas to you too. :)
Anonymous said…
I'm sure you're in your own way creating hazaar memories that Meeshu is gonna write 'bout. Happy Pujo (with a difference)!
Madmax said…
Ok :-) .. Check http://brishtibhejadin.blogspot.com/2009/09/grocery-shopping-trauma-unlimited.html

Trauma Unlimited.

Popular Posts