Childhood revisited

Just when I was wallowing in my 4 lb weight loss, my slip disc gloated back. I should have stuck to walking. Anyway. Now that I am bed ridden for a few more days, there’s time to blog and look around the virtual world. 

Its funny how every little thing that your kid does takes you back to your childhood. Today it was Mishmash’s make shift house, made with throw.s and stoles. I remember doing that as a kid and insisting ma fed me inside the ‘house’. There were times when I’d play house-house with friends and we’d have an elaborate family. Someone became the father, someone the mother – who btw, always stayed home and cooked. And there’d be a crying baby, a doctor, a maid, a neighbour, even a dog! The game extended with robbery, so police had to intervene, and so on. here was no end to imagination :).

So today when I saw Mishmash playing the age old Role Play game,  it caught my fancy. She pulled in her dad to be part of the family. She liked entertaining guests, who had to constantly knock at her door, and she’d pass on a cuppa coffee or some such. She cooked and went to office in her ‘car’ . In between she called home too. She made me tea, strawberry milkshake and chocolate pudding. I wanted to stop her and say, sweety, why don’t you relax while papa made you some hot soup instead. :D. But it was heart warming to see her driving to work :))). She even held a little purse (imaginary one, again) and looked at her watch as she left for work, saying see you later alligator and blowing a kiss.

 

Recently Updated

And in all this I pondered, how happy she seemed with the make shift home, make belief family life, unreal plastic food. She embraced it all like it was real. We did it too in our early days, thinking adulthood was bliss. Little did we know of the challenges, fear, grief and the sheer humdrum of being ‘big’. I hope she lives up to be as happy and contend as she looks in these pictures. And hope she makes the most of her childhood. For one, I so wanna go back to being 3 again.

Comments

the pleasantone said…
Recently josh n co played under the table with a bedsheet....wat fun!!!!!!!!!!!
Aaahh! What memories :) ANd I'm with you, I wanna be three again too :)

May happiness always be with Mishmash!
Hope you get better soon, KG. Sending good wishes and vives your way.

And you're so right - despite the advances in technology, the simple joys of childhood never change :)
Starry-eyed nut said…
I wouldnt mind being 3 again in 2011! Since they have done away with class ten boards from that year, I will not have to die thinking about maths score!!!

:) On a serious note life is definitely better at 3...no worry, no hurry...simple and uncomplicated..
Anonymous said…
how I love her poses :) she sure having great fun. :) Keep books and all away from her as long as u can.
Take care of your back.
Discovering M said…
oh ! get well soon KG :)
@pleasantone: yes they are so much fun :). Just that cleaning up after the act is painful. :D

@M4: Mishmash says thank you. :)

@Mystic M: thanks :). Been ooh aah ouching away. but will be fine soonish :).

@Starry eyed: 3 is good babe. you dont need to do anything at all. Draw rainbows, mess your room, say no to veggies, have icecreams, throw tantrums and still get hugs and kisses. :). I HATED math too.

@aynzoya: her dad hyperventilates in a very bong style about her 'studies'. but she isn;t bothered much. she is busy wth her dinos and 'rakkhosh'. :D

@Embellisher: so good to see you here :). Thanks a ton..need those vibes. the belt i am wearing looks hedious :D

@discovering M: Mone,thank you much ya. write soemthing new, lazy bones.:p
Rupz said…
awwww !!! Me and my sis used to play "ghor-ghor" too !!! We used to have soo much fun.. This brought back such wonderful memories .....

Popular Posts