I am a cool parent. Hmmmmmmm.

When I was on the threshold of marriage, I had many opinions, like young, rebellious, educated women of 25 did. Now, when I think of some of them, I cringe. Even, when all alone, I look for a blanket to hide my face. Some other opinions, I still hold forth, vehemently. In a few years these so called vehemently held views will be a cause for much embarrassment, I know. But till then, let me pass of as the fire brand woman, an appellation I so love. Of the many points of view that I held, my stance on parenting was perhaps the most lucid and thought through. These views were based on my own experiences as a child and more importantly on how some of my friends were brought up. As you might rightly suspect, my observations of my parents brought forth views of – what parents shouldn’t do, and ideas I picked from my friend’s parents- things that parents must do. Of course, like a zillion others out there, I always about thought my parents are so wrong, and my friend’s, neighbor's, cousin’s, so cool.

One of the parenting guidelines I believed in – I will not break my head over what happens in school with my kid, especially, homework, exams, and all that twaddle we ‘faced’ as kids. My husband was a step ahead of me- he announced proudly to guests at home one day- my child will not be forced to study. Ahem. All this when Mish Mash was 6 months old. Mish Mash is 3 today and goes to pre school. We were glad she was going and learning stuff. As a few weeks pass, we hear from parents in India, whose kids are about Meeshu’s age or older. They ask- so has she begun writing? Are you teaching her the Hindi Script? You guys will have it hard when u come back. Its different here, in India.

Mish Mash’s dad, who had once said lofty things about what his kid will do, and won’t, is faltering and panicking. Mish mash’s fire brand mother with cool parenting solutions, biting her nails in apprehension- when will Mish Mash learn to write her alphabets? Her peers are doing it already in India- its great that she knows her shapes and colours, but what happens when she goes back and can’t cope with writing- Gaye Doodh deti hai or Gaaye humari mata hai, in Devnagri script?

So then, a pink writing board is bought home. Another piece of plastic, that crowds the little brat’s room. The father and daughter sit every evening with ‘alphabets’. While the dad goes about writing on the black board, as if it was his childhood dream to own one, Mish Mash is busy sketching gibberish  the other side, on the white board.

And I haven’t stopped panicking. Next Monday, she needs to do a ‘Show and tell’ at her school. Her dad wants her to show a plastic pink strawberry cake. I couldn't be bothered with what she showed- I have to prepare her for the elocution. Well, not elocution exactly, but well, she does need to say something better than just say- mummy doesn’t give me cake.

The feeling in my stomach is similar to that of what I felt before entering a stage to say that long speech, which dad had written down for m, for the competition. I gotta  get her to tell those lines right.

Bloody stressful, I say. And yes, so much for those lucid and well thought through parenting guidelines.

Comments

indranil said…
guess thats the cycle of life... as meeshu and misha grows up, they shall start proclaiming that they wont let their kids through this awfull grind, and when the time comes they will themselves start bending...

what M proudly went about doing in college, is now a tension-zone for her and gets constantly scared if m will follow her footsteps.. less with books more with some one... :P :D :D

but 2b honest, I dont give a damm...let m her live her life in a way she perceives best.. i would be just a whistle blower for an alert... thats all...... and this attitude of mine infuriates M all the more...... couldnt care less if that does not make me good father material......
Starry-eyed nut said…
interesting....i guess it has just begun. The most difficult part is guess is the peer pressure not just for the kids but for parents also :)
Anonymous said…
*ha ha*... life goes around in cirlces!!!

I went to school today for a parent teacher meeting & collecting the 1st term report cards of my 4 & 6 year old girls... And as I drove to school.. I had butterflies in my stomach.. I just couldnt understand why!

Its so true... even I had said.. I would do a lot... but now have come around 360deg!!! So I know the feeling!
Rose said…
lol...I posted on how worrying parenting seemed all of a sudden - you have but freaked me further! Enjoyed reading it - all the best to Mish Mash with the pink cupcake!
Anonymous said…
This is uncanny..I can so relate with this post of yours. Bibhu(my husband) n I have been panicking about Avi's deteriorating hindi speaking skills. Have recently started practicing 'ka kha ga gha..' with her and plan to bring loads of hindi books on our next trip to India(whenever that happens!).
Scribbler :) said…
Oh! Poor Meeshu! You remind me of my 'Washing Powder Nirma', days. Am sure Meeshu's spontaneity will beat mine...and then the 'cool' parents can feel more proud of such a 'cool' child!
@iK: I know what u mean, its not like raj frets much, ideally he'd like to be the 'masti ki pathshala' type, but i think his genes have 'academics' embedded in them :).

@Abhi: oh it is..peer pressure is mounting on adults. to the extent we boycott some friends altogether who are way too generous with their advice on parenting.

@Pat: Don't even mantion it, I am feeling the heebiejeebies thinking about MOn
@rose: thanks, will certainly give an update on how the pink princess fares.

@aditi: hehehehe...now u are in real panic mode!!

@scribbler- my fingers are crossed....but ur washing powder nirma act was priceless..it should be solely your property and later your kid's :D
Discovering M said…
ha ! i keep telling parents that I am going to be so NOT like them as far as bringing up children are concerned - and they brush my comments aside with a smug smile.. "this we will have to wait and see"
Anonymous said…
Enjoyed reading this post. Could totally identify with the part where you learned about what not to do in parenting from your parents! Also, being a Literature enthusiast myself, found your diction quite poetic:)
@jayeeta: thankks for stopping by :)and for the lovely words.
KC said…
Cool article. I have married recently and had lots views about do's and dont's for a new age woman and the family life in general. When i was little, I used to think that if i grow up, ill do things differently. But now in reality when it comes to me, i handle things just like my mom does. and it works!

i still have a list of certain do's and dont's and i am sure that those will have to be wiped out whenever i have a kid!

all the best for teaching your kid!
the mad momma said…
LOL! I might have written this post myself!!

http://themadmomma.wordpress.com
@Mad Momma: thanks MM, for stopping by. She skipped her 'show and tell', with a timely flu. :)

Popular Posts