Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy,aaja aaja aaja

 DSC01674 I posted this picture recently on Facebook, and it generated some public interest. Albeit curious ones, since this one was not exactly a striking pose of a well trained dancer. Needless to say, it also tells the viewers a clear story, that I’ve got two left feet. And then, this picture brings back memories of a particular phase of my childhood.

 

When I was in class 3, Ma sent me to Bharatnayam classes. The teacher, Vasu uncle was really nice. Well, to welcome such an untalented child in his class, made him rather nice. I went for exactly 4 days, and I stopped.  I refused to go, rather. I told Ma –‘Bah! Ma, Uncle is reaally boring. He doesn’t know dance at all. He only taught me Tha Thai Thaka Thai in FOUR days, nothing else. He knows nothing, besides, its so boring to do one step only. I want to dance like they show on TV with that dress and jewelry and all. Instead he makes me bend my legs for loong  which hurts and its BORING.’

 

Those days Mithun’s Disco Dancer had released and was a rage amongst youngsters. I was too young to be a youngster, but was pretty charmed by those numbers- ‘I am a disco dancer, mein kisi ka diwaaaana…..ooo jhumo oo naacho, aao mere saath nacho gaayo…I am a disco dancer… and Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy…aaja aaja aaja….and the Halwa song. I was so taken by the songs that I asked Ma to send me to ‘disco’ classes instead.  I don’t exactly remember ma’s reaction, but I think she made some comment about not being able to take even a week of Vasu uncle, forget Disco dancing. And every time some such thing came up, ma promptly sent me to study, so that kind of kept me from pestering her any further. Do the Disco chapter remained a deep desire, unfulfilled.

 

This picture is witness to that repressed desire of mine. Strange things happen after 30.

 

Comments

the pleasantone said…
ha ha ha! you evoked some funny memories here!
Tracer Bullet said…
hahah... disco!!! hehe... ur a total nut case!!! :)

Popular Posts