List of things that interested me when i was 9 years old

Stethoscope, globe, 11 tables, nailpolish, lactocalamine, worms, triangular shaped stones, sharp pencils, dad n mum's closet, jujube, kachcha mango, spiderman, lipstick, fountain pen, kneaded flour, sand, correcting old notebooks with a red pen, making dipu pluck roses which i inturn gave my class teacher, overhearing mum and her friends talk about meenu aunty, watch ma knit, pour my glass of milk down the drain every morning without fail-without ma's knowledge, arrange my doll's wedding, collect 10 paisa coins and put into motu seth- my piggy bank, count those 10 paises 3 times a day to be sure dipu didn't steal any, steal dipu's stamp collection, going to newmarket in calcutta during summer hols, knowing dipu's scores in unit tests well in advance and promptly telling ma about it- only when they are bad, read tinkle,try to read reader's digest and all that dad read, chewing bublegums and blowing them, take part in fancy dress competitions (my favourite remains 'the newspaper' costume) try to sneak and watch Titli a serial on DD which was suppossed to be only for Boroder jonye - grown ups., eat chini rooti, try to beat dipu in ludo, go with dad to the colony store called Shakti general stores on his scooter standing in front, get friends home- everyday a new one, play house, get stray pups home and insist it will die so we need to keep it.....

List of things i detested as a 9 year old

Going to Ms Cecelia's class, wear the school uniform which was below my knee level- i liked it atleast 3 inches above the knee and mum never allowed it, Aquaptychotis -a horrible concoction given to me whenever i had a tummy problem, milk, watch DD news, watch dad watching DD news, sleeping on summer afternoons, doing math homework, studying for unit tests - i still think they are a clossoal waste of time, eat lunch, getting back home by 6 pm, going for Pujas, going to calcutta - i preferred cuttack, sit with thakuma and dadu and sing bhajans in the evening, watch Dipu ride the cycle, Benydril, going to Ratnam Aunty's house, getting my cheeks pulled by uncles, wearing a yellow dress which ma made me wear everytime she was in a bad mood, oiling my hair......................

Comments

Anonymous said…
:) First smile of the day ... thanks to you. But we don't really change do we? I think I have a severe dislike for most things I used to dislike then. But now, the need to be well-mannered force me to pretend some times!

Popular Posts