My two pence on curry bashing

Friends and relatives from all quarters have been enquiring about our well being, owing to the recent attacks in Ozzie land. Loads of exasperated status messages, headlines all over OZ and Indian media, bloggers at their emotional best, frantic tweets over the cyber space, and my personal encounters with racism in Sydney, has got me thinking.

I was at our local mall looking at hair pins and clips. I saw a white woman try on one of the hair products, so I thought it was ok to try on. I was about to do it and that’s when a woman standing near by came rushing saying- ‘you are not allowed to try it on---its for health reasons, not because you are a …you know’ (this was 6 months back). I was so dumbstruck that I simply bought the hair pin and walked away with tears welled up. It was a stupid thing to do- why did I walk away?  I should have taken the issue head on. I didn't have to be rude or create a scene, but I certainly should have solicited an apology. These instances are very common here. I have faced similar accounts at other places too. Racist behaviour is rampant in Australia, just that it is understated and restrained. And more than that, it goes unreported. The issue is burning now because it took a violent, nasty  turn, else it would have remained obscure for more years to come.

The most irking thing about the whole issue is how some of us are quick to point a finger and say, things are equally bad back home in India, with the MNS and so on. But that’s not the point at all. There is racism everywhere- we are all racists in some way or the other. Tell me, didn’t you ever mock at your south Indian neighbor's curd rice habits? And don’t tell me you never almost spat at the  Hindi speaking guy in Tamil Nadu. You might also have been the one to have rejected an  otherwise nice alliance that came your way, because she/he was ‘dark’. But just because we have prejudices ourselves doesn't  justify a boy getting stabbed with a screwdriver. And just because we have issues to tackle ourselves back home, we should shut up and not vice our antipathy for what’s happening here??  Joe Pinto  articulates it just right, he says- please resist racism of any kind.

Please for goodness’ sake stop saying India is equally bad, so we have no right to preach what's happening Down Under. It sounds stupid and ignorant. We were equally ashamed and enraged at what happened when the MNS beat up Biharis and non Maharashtrians, and the media gave it equal amount of importance, as it is giving to the issue here. In fact the media is right in going over board reporting the cases from oz – if we as a nation don’t show that we care for our fellow citizens abroad, who will?

Over the years Australia has seen a huge leap in Indian student enrolment in universities and most of the students opt for  Permanent Residency. One of the many factors for students coming to Australia for further studies, apart from competitive fee structures in comparison to US/UK universities (which is a very big deal in these times – think of the ROI), was safety.  The ‘Australian Way’, as the locals often quote, referring to their laid back, friendly, chilled out attitude, was what attracted people a great deal. but may be all that is changing after all. Too bad. Too bad for the government, too bad for the country’s economy.

I certainly don’t understand local rights – local rights to jobs? Indians are equally jobless here, in the downturn. And if they think Indians have been taking away jobs that are rightfully theirs I’d like to contest here- why were Indians given those jobs at the first place? With arms wide open the Australian government took in people, in heaps, to help nourish the Australian economy. Do these little minded idiots even realize that their Government has time and again recognized and commended efforts of  Indian diaspora to the Australian economy? Do they even know under their Government's ‘Skilled Migration Program' (06-07) over 15,000 professionals migrated seeking PR? I don’t think the Government needed to do that if the country was self sufficient on the ‘skilled labor’ scale. And if these dimwits have an issue they should take it up with the government, and also may be take university education a little more seriously.

These ill informed obtuse heads are a shame to their own country.  We are here on a short stay- and we still think this is a country with a great attitude- a happy nation. And not all of that will change with these attacks, because Australia is indeed a beautiful country with lovely warm people, but for these ignorant set of hoodwinks. 

We must raise our voices, and get Kevin’s government to do a lot lot more than just verbal assurance and set up police reference groups who make suggestions that are as racist as the ones they are fighting against, sample this – stop speaking in your native language! Now what was that?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Its true that racism is everywhere. Most of the time its in our minds..

We all are racist in some way.. I think I'm a universal racist.

As for Australia.. I loved the nation, the people, the culture, the climate, the landscapes and a lot more!! And just hope that these issues subside!

Talking about India, in Karnataka a brother- sister duo were beaten up on Valentines day... by some Ram Sena people... Tell me, what is that then??
@Patricia: I have been hearing about karnataka and the Rama Sene mayhem. And I think these are so so politically motivated. Come to think of it, most of the madness in the society today is politically motivated. And it takes so much more to cure people with such mental illness. Its sad the way bangalore is turning to be. I was there for 2 years before we moved to Sydney and it kills me to see how my friends have to be so much more cautious to go out to just shop on commercial street in a sleeveless salwar kameez.
Joe Pinto said…
My dear KG,

Thank you, for sharing.

I'll put up your link, both in the comments section and as part of an update section in my post, with the heading, "Other lands, other experiences".

I like the way you've got me so right, that I'm going to change the headline of my post to "Please resist racism ... of any kind". A simple paraphrase of "Resist the racists ... of all colours."

Your implied shift from "resist the racist" to "resist racism" also has the idea of opposing the idea and not the person. Most racists, except for the ideologues and leaders, are misguided.

Thank you again, KG.

Peace and love,
- Joe.
Ronak Jain said…
It’s true that India is indeed itself a racist country, but these act doesn’t actually lead to physical contact in any mean, still there are instances where I poor North East guy is asked the following question
“Where are you from, China? “
North East fellow: “No from Arunachal Pradesh! ”
Where is it ??
Or some time you feel that the local shop keeper in south even after knowing the National Language viz Hindi, do not eventually speak.

Though India is a UNITED country, I do not feel this country get united except during Cricket matches and also during a terrorist attack !!
So why blame other country for all, when ur own country is in a highly communal situation !!!
Rose said…
I was under the impression that Sydney wasn't too badly affected till I read your post. It disturbed me, to say the least. I hope it gets better in a hurry and don't you let it get to you again. I'll fed-ex you my boxing gloves.
Debanjana said…
I love this one...and yeah, feeling kind of goosebumpy and patriotic...wish we could do something about these morons
Discovering M said…
very true - if they have a problem with us - they should take it up with their govt instead of acting like lunatics !

btw - I used to get called "malbari" instead of "malayalee" by everyone other than keralites, a common term for keralites in the gulf! It was meant to be offensive - but for some reason I neverfound it that way :P

Popular Posts