Dog talk

I don’t think it will be a lie to say that I grew up with dogs. We as a family never really brought home a dog, but we gave shelter to many. I was notorious for picking up puppies from all corners of the colony and bring them home, begging ma to give those ‘poor puppies’ a home. One such pup that our milkman- Krishnappa brought home,  remained with us. Ma miraculously agreed to keep him and I like every other person in those days did, named him ‘Tommy’.

Tommy was the son of a mongrel. No lineage so to speak of. But he had the cutest tail , brownest eyes and very loyal. He walked me to school, and arrived bang on time to walk me back home too. He sat by me in the evenings, brought back my lost pair of chappal, allowed us to ride him like a horse,  and destroyed ma’s vegetable garden with the vivacity of a  mad dog.

He loved dad and me the most. He did have to bear the brunt of ma’s wrath for all the  backyard destruction, but he never left us. When dad got back from work, he gave him a guided tour of our backyard, leading dad, mum and me from plant to plant, tree to tree checking if the fruits and vegetables were ready to be plucked.  The colony I grew up in was also a very dog-friendly place. A lot of people we knew, had dogs. I still remember the names of many – Bamby, Snowy, Suzie, sandy, Rex :-).  The idiom ‘Once bitten twice shy’ doesn’t mean much to me. When I was about 10 years old ‘Bruce’, my aunt’s Doberman, got a little irked with me, and gave me a little ‘identification mark’ for life on my cheek bone. That didn’t scare me a wee bit.

And when we went to Kolkata for summers, we had ‘Tipu’ (he was named after my brother and me :D) to play with at our grandparent’s place. He was a strange mango-loving dog. My brother and I adored him. Tipu’s ancestors- 3 generations before him, were brought up my my dad's family. Apparently Tipu’s mother Neeta loved listening to the Tabla that my youngest paternal uncle played and was quite a temperamental bitch. There was ‘Patchie’ too. But I know very little of her.

After I got married, my husband and I, both wished to bring home a pup someday. But that someday arrived a tad too soon and like God-sent wish that was express-delivered, a friend called us to ask if we’d be interested in adopting a lab pup, all of one month. We agreed  without thinking much and brought ‘Coffee’ home. But we were young, restless and inexperienced. We weren’t ready for him. I wasn’t ready to handle the hunger tantrums every few hours. Coffee was just like a baby. I freaked out. We didn’t have the support of family either. My in-laws are not fond of dogs and my dad was not willing to take over the responsibility of bringing a dog home. Ma, I knew wanted to keep Coffee, but didn’t have dad’s support. So finally we gave him back to the owner. After that what followed was a miserable one month. I haven’t forgiven myself for what I did. And I know my only redemption will be by bringing home a Lab again.

Watching Marley and Me (for the second time) brought back memories of all the canines that gave me company in my childhood. Apparently Coffee is a lot like Marley. A complete rogue. :-)

I think every childhood must have a dog in it. Why just childhood, every person must share his life with a dog. Never mind what the pedigree, he/she will be your friend for life . In Australia when you register your pet’s name you also give your family name to it :-). I think its the cutest gesture – it’s your family after all. 

I love the last few words of the film-

A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. A waterlogged stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb.
Give 'em your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about?
How many people can make you feel rare, pure and special?
How many people can make you feel extraordinary?

Comments

Aparna said…
A dog needs a big house and an open yard. Unfortunately in Mumbai, where open space is an alien concept, one hesitates to keep a dog. A puppy would be such a beautiful way to teach my kids some responsibility. But where is the space for a big mutt in my tiny flat?
~G said…
Totally totally agree to each word. In my formative years, I haven't had as many dogs around me as you did, but the two dogs that we had have changed my life forever, wrt to the things I learnt as I grew up.

I keep debating with myself on bringing home a pup, but not being around all day and leaving the dog home all by himself in my view is cruel.
And then there is this wretched fear of losing the dog someday, which is ridiculous but true. :(

By the way KG, do you have pictures of your lovelies? Do put them up here. Will love to see.
indranil said…
i had a daschund when i was in school... she was named "kutush"... Years later how her namesake happened to be Snowy's Bengali translation of Tintin by Ray, still baffles me....

m has been pestering me to get a puppy since she was in class 5.. but with us being frequently out of the house, i think it would torturing a poor canine.
@Aparna: Yes, space issues are perhaps the most common reason for not bringing home a dog. May be a small one? :)

@G: True G, there is a lot to learn frm them v:). I mot certainly do have the pictures but they are all in Hyderabad with dad n mum. I'm hoping dad reads this comment and send me those pictures :)

IK: Great minds think alike? :D But if she wants a pup bring her one na.
Debanjana said…
Lovely....I miss my pet all the more...
Anonymous said…
So are you going to get one now?? I would love to have a dog but living in a unit doesn't allow me. I was friendly with all the neighbourhood strays back home but didn't have my parents' support to keep any unfortunately.
Indy said…
I always wanted a pup as a kid myself-sadly never did! lucky that you cud take care of many-quite a noble thing to do, I must say! I loved Marley and me -it was so sad too! Hope you get yourself a pup soon! :)
Sharmila said…
Love dogs. Have always had one at home when growing up. Would love to have one now ... but the prob is we travel so much ... do not have the heart to leave at a kennel.
Anonymous said…
I've never liked dogs or cats or any animal for that matter. But reading your post made me Sigh! for some beautiful bonding and emotions that I've missed out on!!
It brings back old memories.I can recall every bit of what you wrote.Very nice.
Debanjana: get one in London?

PB:Can't get one in this house. We aren;t allowed to have pets. Part of the agreement :(. But a lab will be part of my family, sooner or later.

Sharmila: Yes, owning a dog is a very big responsibility! I feel australia is a very pet friendly country. Dog parks, beaches, hotels and open spaces.

writerzblock: :) am sure you had a fun childhood. a dog would have given you more stories to tell :).

@dad: can you scan a few pictures of tommy and me, tipu and coffee?
Primitive Lyric said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Primitive Lyric said…
I grew up with a lot of pets. we had cats, dogs, rabbits, and parrots. Once we even took in orphaned pigeons that flew away when they were older and stronger.
Now, Ro and I want to get a dog. I know it will be good for Adiv to grow up with one, coz I believe pets teach you empathy and kindness. However, i'm not sure of when is a good time. Do I get one now? Will I be able to manage 2 babies in a flat? I'm apprehensive!:)
manikarn said…
You know already that I have a cat-dog fetish.. then why, oh why?!!
Discovering M said…
Oh - they are fun alright ! But feeding them, showering them all becomes a pain a bit later I guess.

J's got three of them back home and have heard from her about the pain of "bringing up dogs"..

I get to pat them and play fetch with them once a year - and content with that.

Popular Posts