Woh kagaz ki kashti, woh barish ka paani...

Majidi's Song of Sparrows brought me back to this space. I needed to be moved in a deep way to write. 

The film like Majidi's other's evokes a sense of void. A void in our lives and the way you (we) are living it. Devoid of little nothings that actually make a life worth living. I look at my 5 year old and feel  guilty for giving her a life that's so forgetful - or so I think. I'm sure she'll have her memories. But not as good as mine. And I feel almost remorseful about living in a city like Singapore.  Nothing against the city- but you know, the experiences she is having vis-a-vis what I had are so disconnected. I know its unfair to compare her childhood with mine - we are a generation apart. Still, how redundant can climbing Guava trees and chasing butterflies get? 

Part of the problem lies in the parenting styles. My mother never bothered with what I was up to when I stepped out. It was not a matter of trust- it was just plain aloofness. What can a kid do outdoors? Play? pretend-destroy plants? Demolish a few sand castles? Catch worms? Pick up a fight with another kid? Snakes were regular visitors in our gardens- but she knew they don't just come to get you, a la Nagina. I spotted ALL the snakes in our garden and alerted my parents - including a Cobra. I was not allowed in the garden for 2 days. Once the fear subsided, ma let us out again. 

My point is- to get Mishmash to play- I have to call 10 mums, arrange for a 'play-date', think about her picnics, fix timings to pick up and drop. I don't understand this style. I dislike it to the extent that I don't call and do these things as much as Mishmash would like it. I let Mishmash just play with whoever she finds in the play area. I'd like her to have her own experiences than me play-writing them for her. Let her encounter her demons, fight them herself. This over-parenting style is not my style at all. But i'm getting more and more coerced into following it, only to make her happy. 

Saddens me to see her with I-pads and watching her play in 'protected play areas', with me watching over her all the time. Not done. I'd much rather have her closer to nature with a set of wild kids going on their own adventures. 

 I think the only way I can do that is by introducing my native place to her- my village Kanachchanda.

Magar mujhko lauta do bachpan ka sawan...




Comments

Satrupa said…
Can I say that it was some kinda telepathy. I actually visited ur space yesterday thinking I had missed some of ur posts as I didn't see one coming from a very long time ..... Oh yah I did miss ur posts. Like always a very nice writeup that stirs up many dormant feelings !!
So good to see you here, Satrupa :). Am happy I've not lost all my readers, yet! Thank you :-)
Varsh said…
Things now are just not the way they were earlier. Aloofness can get risky and leaving your kids unattended can take an ugly turn. People are not caring for other's kids like they were before.
Sad, but thats just how the sate of affairs is now :(
Anonymous said…
It's difficult to find a balance in the city, for safe places, and unsupervised play. But I do hope you can introduce your kid to some snatches of sawan, at least.
Debanjana said…
Beautifully written, and it's the same story everywhere!

Popular Posts