~ Ya devi sarbabhuteshshu, sakti rupena sanksthita ..

Namasteshwai Namasteshwai Namasteshwai namo namaha~

Took a bath, plucked wild Jasmine (I think it is Jasmine) from the backyard, lit Diya and incense and put on Mahalaya on Youtube. Little things in life go a great length in making you happy. Called Ma, Dad and had a little chat while sipping on a huge cup of Lopchu cha. They were having cha too, after listening to Mahalaya. Felt a connection there and an indescribable yearning to be with them.

As wee kids, dad woke us up at 4am to listen to it. Those cold wintry mornings saw dad in his shawl over his ears and head, swaying to Mahalaya. I didn't understand much, but was generally excited that the entire household was awake that early to listen to music!  I remember listening to it over the radio. (There were times I hated waking up to it too....in my teens I suppose). But I did love watching Hemamalini perform to Mahisasura Mardini on Doordarshan.

I wonder what kind of memories Mishmash will have of me. Will she have quaint memories like I do of my parents on days like today? Or are all memories quaint and evoke a fuzzy gooey feeling inside you? 

For now, I have to be content and spirited about the forthcoming 'weekend Pujo'. Its ok that I won't accompany Ma to Ameerpet to get last minute matching falls and saree blouse pieces. Neither will I wrack my head thinking which 'jama' to wear on which day of the pujo. It is also okay that I will not be at the Bangalee Samitee  Pandal, waiting for Dad to get me my Chicken-egg roll. Its ok. Its ok.

But yes, its time for Dhaak. And its time for the festivities to begin. Make the most of these nine days in whatever special way you can. I will.

Leaving you all with an absolutely lovely video- Dhaak

Comments

sulagna said…
aparna...ohhh would you believe i did the same..woke up at 4..put on the the youtube video, made maidar luchi and aloo kumroo chenchki , did a little puja, our own way with the food and some chocolates, cried next to G telling him i miss ma baba and barir pujo..ate all the food and realised..you can never forget the bengali in you, so what if you sip vodka and thulp on chicken wings on weekends :)
Scribbler :) said…
Love this post! Sounds like my childhood...again :)

At least MishMash will remember that you plucked Jasmines and lit diyas. As long as it's not just another day....
Anonymous said…
Beautiful. I love all these nostalgia posts of yours. You must turn them into a book some day.
vicious said…
absolutely amazing ...cud relate with every line ..and the cultural fest that is associated with all the probashi bangali pujos is simply awesome !!

and about memories , just 2day my boss was telling me that his dad did tarpon every year and he clearly remembers his voice speaking the mantras .at the same time he lamented saying that his daughter will never have any such memories of him !
Treenz said…
Ah a beautiful post indeed! Miss the pujo back home.
indranil said…
one small thing::::: i would want to know how you manage the last minute shopping for saree falls and saree blouse pieces and still manage to have them stitched in time for pujos???? since M gives them to the tailors about a couple of months before and still on pujo day after a shower she like Manadakini in ram teri ganga maili waits for the blouses to be delivered... ...

and regarding the chicken egg roll in bangali samity i do understand the feelings so i shall try to compensate them by having an extra one today :D
chicha.in said…
hii .. Nice Post ..

For More Entertainment .. Visit ..

WWW.ChiCha.in

WWW.ChiCha.in

Popular Posts