Maha Ashtami

Maha Ashtami.
Just another day for many,
away from home. Like me.

I attempted to make the morning
characteristic of special days like these.

Strong fragrance of incense 
mixed with smoky aromas of
ballooned Luchis ,
hung precariously in the air,
unsure of its presence in an alien country.

And, it was silent,
the surroundings, you know.
I couldn't hear Ma's bangles clink,
or dad sing;
not even a distant beat of Dhaak
or the resonance of a conch.

It was all silent,
as silent as the dead.

I sat by the porch,
all dressed, with a touch of vermilion,
to catch a glimpse of somebody. Anybody.

There was nobody.

Miles away, they must be sleeping,
and dreaming of the biggest day of the nine days.

Maha Ashtami.
But in some parts of the world,
its just another day.

Comments

GB said…
Wish I had something clever to say. I don't. Just that I hear you. ....
Nicely expressed your feelings, no doubt. But we are sad to read your mind & the melancholy expressed thru poem.
sulagna said…
aparna...i dressed up and came to work today..i will be in office till 8 tonight and then probably a visit to the pandal..sadly we found no dhak this time and hence got too angry at how "commercial" these people have become..and i ask ma to keep the phone near the dhaki, back home so i can atleast hear it over the phone
Scribbler :) said…
I cried, reading this. Read mine.
Rupz said…
I feel like crying reading this !
So wonderfully expressed... You have managed to capture each and every sentiment that I feel ...
Treenz said…
Wow I like this! very well put indeed.
Aeish said…
That's so beautifully written!
vicious said…
can sense the nostalgia
Anonymous said…
That was simply wonderful. I feel the same way. Though I was never a 'functions' girl, never knew what customs we were supposed to follow, I still feel sad on special days like today... Beautifully written poem!
Anonymous said…
Sharing this on FB, assuming I have your permission :-)
indranil said…
Oshtmi day we were all chatting in a circle as we do in bangali samity and i raised 9/30 with dada boudi.....but for the food they opted for the khichuri bhog, and i went hunting for non veg in the stalls :P
PreeOccupied said…
Do you, I heard the dhaak through the webcam while talking to my parents in India. I had goosies...sitting seven thousand miles away from home.
So well said , just another day....
I feel like that too... But life goes on...
So well said , just another day....
I feel like that too... But life goes on...
Solilo said…
Aps, How are you, dear? Hope you had a fab Puja. Best Diwali wishes. Keep in touch through e-mail.

--Soli

me1soliloquy@yahoo.com
D said…
Ah, how ironic.
swati said…
wow..beautifully expressed.

Popular Posts