Rant.

The hardest and the worst thing, of being married with a child, perhaps, is the inability to let go of them sometimes and take a break yourself. This rings true of men and women who are dependent on their spouses, financially and are emotionally too attached. I’d really like to take off on a holiday for a couple of days all by myself. Just a few days. Mishmash and Raj, both mean the world to me, but getting away for a person like me is important. It was easier when I was in India and working, when I got my monthly breaks in the form of overnight Mumbai- Delhi trips. But here, I’m stuck at home mostly. I do get out, but only to come back to cook some more or pick up strewn socks, books, toys and clothes.

I woke up this morning to a terrible migraine. This comes a day after 2 days of terrible pain owing to my slip disc and 3 and a half weeks of pollen allergy induced cold, fever and horrible bouts of sneezing. I was so done today. I wanted to run to ma. I shy away from talking about my illnesses sometimes for I can see in friends and acquaintances a look, that doesn’t anymore want to give me the benefit of doubt. I dislike being called a weakling and I’m trying my best to make myself healthier. I exercise, eat healthy and am cheerful. I pursue my hobbies actively. I do my bit.  But at times you indeed feel cheated when despite everything you do, these little aches are back, and people sympathise with my husband more instead of giving me a nod of understanding, for reasons not very foreign to our Indian mentality. I don’t need sympathy, but maybe if people around me are a little more sensitive and understanding, I’d feel better. I indeed look forward to the day when Paracetamol is not bought as part of our monthly grocery list. :) No one revels in being sick. And I’m most certainly not a hypochondriac. It is just unfortunate that I fall sick in Australia more often owing to the climate, and I’m doing everything I can to make friends with it :).

 

But for now, I really want to be away for a few days from this domestic humdrum. And I’m restless to achieve all those dreams, I dream all day long. I take no solace in being content with what I have. I must get those dreams fulfilled and do that quick.

Those who come back to reading this space, am sorry about such a morose post. But I had to rant somewhere. And being far from home, I’m so starved for company. So, bear with me, a little more.

Comments

sulagna said…
:) will it help if i whine and say "aamio jete chaai" and i dont have a child yet and already dreaming of some "only me" holiday..one where i switch off my cell phone all dy..send a text to G and tell him m fine n call ma and tell how i enjoyed getting tanned..ahhh wishful thinking i say..something about bengalis and dreams, embedded in our genetics
manikarn said…
Yo KG , I was almost starting to worry about you :) Talking about Rant, that's what I do daily. Don't even give it a thought! We still have the Tomatina date, don't we? :)
Scribbler :) said…
Hugs! Many of them! Real tight and warm ones :)

I know exactly what you mean. But do you even care for those people who think their smartass comments will save the world?

Do what you are best at. And in your case, that's not "one" thing. It's a whole list. Write, make silver, cook.
And whenever you need company, remember that I am idle most of the days :)
Primitive Lyric said…
It's okay to rant! I hear you..I understand you..I empathize with you! What we have is a tough(though very satisfying for the most part) job, and unfortunately you don't get as much appreciation for it.
Anyway, if it makes you feel any better, I think you're doing a wonderful job. You're a wonderful mother, you keep a beautiful house, you are an amazing cook, you find time for your hobbies, you enjoy life and your priorities are right! You may not always get the appreciation, but you definitely have a lot of people who admire you!
:)
Anonymous said…
Aw, take care... I can understand the need for a little 'me space' and not needing to return home and get back to cleaning/cooking again! Hope you get a well deserved break soon :-)
Anonymous said…
'only me' holidays are good.. and are certainly something that everyone needs.. I know how you feel!!! My bro is also.. somehow.. more ill in Aus than when he is here.. I guess its the climate.. Sometimes its hard to make friends with things that we dont want to accept.. I guess the first thing is to accept.. the place.. the climate.. and start loving it.. You'll be fine soon!!

I hope you are feeling better now.. and all your aches & pains have gone way.. vanished.. magically!! *taking out my wand*
Aeish said…
I dunno why but i see myself writing the same kind of post in a couple of years and i can't seem to do anything to change the way things are happening :/
Aeish said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sulagna: :) i hope u don;t have to go through any of this. I hope eachtime you wish for something it comes true right then! I'm not a bengali. Am an oriya married to a Bengali. :)

manikarn: atleast someone was begining to worry! Sending virtual Hugs babe. Lets do the tomatina one soon.

Scribbler: :)) thanks girl. Such a girlie post this is. I dodnt attract any men to my blog if u notice :D. Not such a good thing! I'm not mad at what somene might have said- i just was looking for some compassion. Its absent in people.

@Primitive: its just a need to be away babe. i know all of u get this sudden burst of need to be away. something my husband finds very difficult to understand. Probably because he is very straight and uncomplicated like men usually are.

writerzblock: Amen!! :) Thanks much for your words!!

Patty: yes...thats what i meant-- by being friends - acceptance. I'm such a vagabond-- i feel i dont belong anywhere. ufff. see what you started off in my head.
come to sydney to see your brother. :)

@aeish: don't visualise something you don't want. Its a sure shot way to attract it to your life. :) . Hopoe u are happy always and never have to rant!
Debanjana said…
Will a long call with Ma...in a sunny afternoon (with hot chocolate) help?
Starry-eyed nut said…
A big tight hug!
Dont worry all will be fine soon :)
aND for those who seem skeptical abt your health, to each their own...they can take a hike....a big ONE
indranil said…
stop cribbing and take short flight to Fiji.. you don't even need a pre- stamped visa. just take off. let raj be the in-house mom for a change.

take the week end off in one of those isolated fiji resorts and write a blog about how you are missing R & m and then take the next flight back home. don't understand Y u all complicate such simple things
Rupz said…
I completely understand (although you would think, how, she does not have a kid and all) But believe me, I feel the same way on some days :)
The "I am stuck- no escape" feeling is such a nasty one when it strikes.
But cheer up ! Let's meet up and have lots of fun !!
Hope your health is better now
@debanjana: did that :). Always feels good!

@Starryeyed: How are you? Long time. We should catch up on gtalk soon! so many question I need to ask :D

@IK: can I send you my account number? :D

@Rupz: next week? Thursday evening perhaps? PIng me or email me. And in a pub please, this time around! Am done with laksa!
Unknown said…
Appu, ranting is always good. You can vent..if nothing else...its out of your system. "me time" is always good..a spa may be?
Love and hugs,
Sarika
Discovering M said…
may be the harsh climates in Sydney go to do with it.. move to the sunshine state and say bye to the paracememol :)
KR said…
Oh I feel your pain sista :) I could kill for a ''me'' holiday !! And yes, however hard I try not to be a sob-sister, it sounds like that when something or other keeps happening.It is definitely hard with the longest winter not helping in any way whatsoever...But all that said,a happy big hug and smile for you to find a way to get out of your frienship with Panadol..:)
Joe Pinto said…
My dear KG,

Long time since I got to the Cha Lover. I can understand the need to take time with yourself.

I do not know if I sent you the link for the Carol Shields page. Shields was one of the greatest Canadian writers. And her page explains, in her own words, how she went about getting her dreams.

You should grab any of her novels in the public library around you.

Take courage. Even if you are tied down to home, spare as much time as you can to do the things you like or NOT do the things you do NOT like. Just this bit can quiet you down.

And rant and rave. I am, your teacher, here to listen to KG -- notas often as I used to, but still there. When the going gets tough, pout it out in a post and send me a link on my email.
Hi Tina, You definitely deserve time to yourself -hands down. Hope you get some leisure time soon. I just lost my temper only yesterday feeling the same way...and I don't even have a kid..but so agree about the constant picking up after everyone. Hope your slip disc heals soon :)You're doing great managing a child, a husband and a new start up :)!

Popular Posts