Sultry Summer Afternoons

4/A Tarak Pramanick Road, Kolkata

4a1

We hurriedly tried to finish lunch. Dada and I sat on the floor on mats at one end of the room against a wall facing the rest of the room. To our left were three Kakas or paternal uncles, all unmarried, in their early twenties and baba. To our right against the huge bed sat our grandparents -Thakuma or Bui as we called her and Dadu. Ma had the end of her saadi over her head, like she usually did while visiting Girish Park. She silently served everyone. With gestures they told her if they wanted another serving. No one spoke. It was one of those days, when no one spoke. All were lost in their worlds. You could only hear the dusty ceiling fan that was never oiled in its entire life, make a periodic noise with each round, and different chewing sounds from everyone’s mouth.  One could also hear bits of broken Hindustani from the local basti . Occasionally Thakuma spoke. Mostly about second helpings for her eldest son and the name that was always at the tip of her tongue – “Basonti’ (Ma).

Dada ate with a spoon. He always did. Even fish. Our attempt to finish lunch quickly was foiled by Thakuma’s summons to ma to give us more rice. I protested. Dada didn’t. He never did. One of the early reasons for Ma to love Dada more than me, was his calm and accepting nature, even as a child. My protest was the first noise one heard in the room. Tipu the German Sheppard resembling mongrel, who waited in anticipation for our leftovers, picked up the sound and up went one of his ears. Ma glared at me, Baba gave me a swift glance – soft enough to say he was not angry, but firm enough to tell me, he can, if I didn’t take the second helping.

Finally the big plate of Mangoes came. I swiftly picked the ‘takua’ or the large flat seed , my favourite part of the mango. Tipu looked excited at the prospect of getting his favourite fruit, albeit, the peel. Thakuma looked on too. She was diabetic and wasn’t allowed mangoes. But Dadu in his usual indulgent manner put two slices on her plate as she mildly resisted.

Finally, the ordeal was over. Amidst belches and stretches all got up. Ma stacked up the ‘ointha*’ plates. She looked miserable, tired and sweaty. We looked on as she wiped the floor with a wet cloth, never once asking Dada or me to help her with anything. We didn’t offer, either. Folding the mats she went into the kitchen and sat down. I followed suit. She asked me to leave. She wanted to be alone, when she ate. Dada and I took off to sit around Thakuma while she made her Paan. We made one for ourselves with meetha paan masala. She had taught me to make the adult versions too. So I made one for her and Dadu. I then took my share and went off to sit by the wooden framed green window with iron grill, to watch the basti children play with a hope to catch a little street fight, if lucky.

Sultry summer holiday afternoons.

( An extract from a sultry Sunday summer afternoon from my yesteryears. Those afternoons were depressing. I don’t know why. But by evening everything would change.The picture above was taken on my visit to Kolkata in January this year. I begged my uncle and dad to take me to North Kolkata around all those places I had seen as a kid, especially 4/A Tarak Paramanick Road where I spent most of my childhood summer vacations. That letter box is still the same. The little red bench too. Thakuma usually sat there chatting with her friends.Will try and do a photo post of my memories of Kolkata. I was watching Pather Panchali again and suddenly had an urge to write about my childhood)

*ointha – used

Comments

Rupz said…
That post literally bought tears to my eyes :) beautiful writing. and you have captured everything so wonderfully.

The cloth for wiping the floor,making paan, the bench, the grills on the main door ... everything reminds me of MY Summer vacations in Kolkatta too .. so strange na ?
Then the after lunch "adda" with the dadas, then the beguni and cha in the evening. Then closing of the windows around 5 PM to avoid the mosquitoes from coming in !!

Going into deep nostalgic state now :)
Anonymous said…
Gosh you write sooo sooo well.. I didnt know if I should cry or laugh at the end...
vicious said…
i am glad i stumbled at your blog ...you writing flows ..and along with it a series of images ran past my mind's eyes ...the usual images at a bengali home !!!

real real glad !!
Anonymous said…
What a beautifully written post. Could well be an excerpt from a novel!! This line 'Finally, the ordeal was over.' quite summarised the emotions felt by your mom. I empathise with her. Well, I haven't been in an exact situation, but similar.
Unknown said…
Reminds me of home and my mom :( Great job, Appu..now I am all nostalgic..I am mostly nostalgic now-a-days..trying to match my stories / what I remember with my sisters / mom.

This post brought those feelings back again. Very nicely written..it was almost as if I could see you all at the table!!
Devi said…
So beautifully written..and I could understand the urge to write after seeing Pather Panchali...very nice Aparna!!
Debanjana said…
beautifully written..but it made me sad more than anything else....
such a beautiful post ! I could imagine it here.. So well written!
Did remind me of my summer days too...
Maya said…
hmm.. it ws gd
rupz: :) are you back? When do we get to see your blog, ma'am?

@patty: it was party to make you cry and partly to make you laugh. Good if you did both :D

@vicious: thank you so much :) ! And am real real glad you came over and gave me a link back to your's!

@writerzblock: this piece was more for ma than anybody else. :) Thanks for loving what I write :). You people inspire me !

Sarika: thanks babe :). How have you been? Loooong time!

@Devi: thanks girl. Pather Panchali brings out rare emotions in a person, no?

@debanjana: what is it about nostalgia that is so depressing?

home cooked Oriya food: Thank you :). which part of orissa are you from?

Uncommon sense: Hmmm thanks...and welcome here :).
jahar majumdar said…
tina.
i have gone back to my days in calcutta--not kolkata. it is so good a piece of blog that i feel real nostlgic.
it also rminds me of satyajit ray's nastanir(charulata).
love,
jahar kaku

Popular Posts