Another star in the sky

My earliest memory of her was in Hyderabad, in Vijay Apartments. They lived 2 floors above us. We were in school then- Jhinni and I. Then, they moved to Divyashakti apartments. They lived 5 minutes away from ours, so Ma and I often walked up to spend an afternoon over tea and gossip. While ma got busy conversing with Kakima, I spent my time chatting with Jhinni, furiously exchanging notes on our social lives. I so distinctly remember Kakima’s smiling face- always a warm, bright smile. She was quite a star in social gatherings. She used to be a dancer, and guess that’s where Jhinni learnt to dance so well. We marveled at how she managed to do a very hectic course for teaching special children, at a time when she could well have been a home maker. She was a sensitive soul. And very childlike….and pure. Ma and Kakima could talk endlessly about Sarees and jewellery.  Pujos were incomplete without them. They always dropped and picked us up during Pujo. And ma and Kakima were almost always together.

 

I met her last when I was pregnant. She and kaku, had come down to Hyderabad for consulting a doctor. She had predicted that I’d have a girl. Both our families went to Chinese Pavilion for dinner. That was the last I saw of her. 

 

Ma says, good people don’t live too long on earth…they are taken to happier places. I hope that’s where she rests now- in a peaceful, happy place. And my thoughts and prayers are with Jhinni and Kaku. We love you Kasturi Kakima, and you’ll always be remembered fondly, with a smile on our face, albeit, with a very heavy heart. God bless.

 

 

(Somehow I cannot come to terms with this. She is the first amongst our inner circle of family friends who left us, so early. It seems like just yesterday, when I met her in my school uniform, and she called me over to her place, to come and chat with Jhinni. She was always so chirpy and warm. I want to go back. And be with my loved ones.)

Comments

Popular Posts