When Ma-pa could, why can't we?

I am in that I -can -bite -you -if- you- get -on- my -nerves mood. I guess its coming from sitting at home. This feeling is something I've been battling with for long. When I am at work I want to spend time at home, and when I am home I want to be back at work. How annoying for R. I really get to him. I guess I want a little bit of everything. Work, money, time, Meeshu, travel, friends, partying, teatime, dinnertime, shopping, me-time, we-time, family time....asking for too much? But our parents managed that. I saw dad come home by 6. we had cha together and he played baddy with us and he headed off to the club for a round of cards, while ma had her own circle of friends , and cookery classes and ladies club, stitching and gardening.And we also managed to eat together, go for the occasional - sweet n sour chicken with steamed rice, veg Manchuria and American Chopsuey at Nanking and Kanishka. We had parties at home and my parents definitely had and still have a better social life and friend circle than we do. I also recall traveling too. The north India trip and every summer a visit to Cuttack and Kolkata without fail. And Pujo was such a fun time. Dad always took off. We don't these days take off even during Pujo. We'd rather take a long weekend off and go see ooty-phooty or some such thing.

When they managed doing everything with salaries that were 1/4 of what we earn, why can't we? The point is not money, you know. Its about the inclination to pursue things. And don't forget the time factor. R's on road travel time is 4-5 hours everyday. Expecting him for tea is a bit outlandish. And dinner time is too scattered. Meeshu eats at 8, me at 8.30 and R whenever he is back. So there goes eating together time.  Mornings are a mad mad rush.

 

So the AU plan ain't bad, eh? Seems like I'll be able to hold stuff together. R promises to do laundry too! That's really heartwarming you know :-).

 

And you know what, I have successfully evaded answering the question I began with. why can't I just be glad with whatever I have at the moment?

Comments

the pleasantone said…
Life is strange aps, we are a generation that want different things and cant let well alone...so the repercussions are great....but iam glad that in aussie you will be able to have a bit of work and lifestyle balance....but iam not sure if too much of it wont get to you LOL!
but i like what you wrote its true the good olden days are always the best glad we have nostalgia to fall back on:)
The Worm said…
cool new look. a hint of things to come. the hair cut. the template. good. good. i like...i like...
Tracer Bullet said…
dil maange more...
maangne me kya jaata hai?? :)

Popular Posts