of frozen dreams

I've realised maintaining multiple blogs is a nightmare. Its like having more than one kid. Attention gets divided and you treat the first one with more fondness and care and let the second one learn on its own - a little ignored, but loved nevertheless. (Another reason not to have my second one- coz I know I will not handle her right (yep if a second one comes along miraculously- it will be a she again). I've been feeling terrible about not updating Meeshu's blog especially . More guilt there.

 

Anyway, this post is meant to reignite some forgotten passion. Passion for food and something more materialistic- jewellery. Read on.

 

Lately I have been taken by my love for food. The foodie in me has suddenly taken over my mind, senses and kitchen. I remember one of the things I really wanted to do (and a lot of people were and still are willing to partner along) was to open a shingaara, jilipi (samosa/jalebi) shop on a hep street, like a Lavelle Road in Bangalore or on Road no 3 Banjara Hills, Hyderabad. I’ve always admired epicureans- these guys are by rule- Happy people. The sheer gastronomic delight they gain from merely being around food and dealing with all things tasty, makes them cheerful and spirited people. I have personally believed and felt that people who appreciate and enjoy good food are naturally happy people.

So well, getting back to what I wanted to do . I wanted and still want to open  a corner shop that sells hot fried savouries & sweets – bong/oode style strictly. I so vividly remember one fine evening R and I, both disillusioned with life and our jobs played this game of visualising our little joint. It ended up being a mid-sized restaurant with very contemporary decor, with black and white pics of Victoria memorial and writer’s building, tall antique table fans, and dhuti clad waiters….this place would have a sitaar, harmonium and a copy of Tagore’s Gitabatan, coz a bong might want to sing like all bongs do, after eating our heart warming dinner. And yes the place would be called – The Hoogly or Howrah bridge or something similar. This place would also be in an up market locality. It will not be a cheap place , and neither an unaffordable one. Lets say it would be a restaurant positioned between a 100 ft boutique restaurant and the Jamvaar at the Leela. This visualization game remained a game, unfortunately. Someone I know already has something similar up and running and its HUGELY successful –check out Mimi and Sanjay’s

Roll call venture in Hyderabad…its soooo coool. These guys must start a dedicated website. I also remember radhika’s from college days. A teenyweeny joint run by a Pune University Bong prof at the end of SB road…near Chatur Singhi temple. radhika’s opened in the evenings and the student crowd thronged the place for moghlai porota and Luchi with Kosha mangsho. Hmmmmmm

 

Someday perhaps Iwill be able to bring Hoogly alive, and have epicurians stop by for an evening over Bhetki fry and Old Monk….

 

But have I also told you that before I desired this restaurant, I wanted to own a textiles and silver boutique? This is a long time passion. SILVER. I have always wanted to travel places in India and collect unique pieces of silver jewellery, especially from Orissa, where silver work is most exquisite. So when, the other day fabindiaI visited Fab India in Indiranagar and saw their recently launched jewellery collection, I  cried. They were doing what I have always wanted to do, and what a fabulous job they are doing of it. Their collection is most unique and from different parts of India. I could easily pick out the pieces from Orissa- the delicate Filigree work is not something that can miss my eye. They are priced pretty steep, but then the stuff was far from being common. This dream of mine is something I will definitely pursue at some point in my life. Since this doesnt interest R, all the pursuing is left to me.

 

Incase you are wondering why this sudden need to pursue dreams….well a certain Vixen asked in her secret blog- what would you be doing had you not been working here- and she was stumped..she had some very common answers like most of us do- ‘travelling’ she said- and then she thought, well, who doesn’t want to travel?

So when I asked myself the same question, my thoughts flew back to these long forgotten dreams….and I thought I must de-frost them!

 

And then I have also heard of a certain worm who has taken a sabbatical from work..wonder of that has got anything to do with dreams at all…

 

And what of the mocking bird who wants to finally pursue her dreams!

 

So then pay heed to Mark Twain-

 

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Comments

the pleasantone said…
Dream on girl.....and if the old ones were not realised then dream of new ones....dont let anything stop you....dreams are things that we like to do....and life has loads more...so be a dreamcatcher and dream realiser....love ya!
Tracer Bullet said…
yeah... makes me think of all the things i wanted do... infact i still wanna do them... but i dunno if i ever will.... :(

Popular Posts