Piece of my life.

I will never ever be able to thank Poo and Ganesh enough for these pictures. These are like the Pandora's box, opening up a million memories, and a new desire to go see Shahabad again. Gulbarga 021

To your left is my beloved Mount Carmel Convent School. Not a thing seems to have changed but for the colour of the building. I just went back twenty years, and saw a line of primary teachers standing under the trees you see in the photo (the big tree is a Neem Tree), during assembly. Invariably there would be a student or two who would 'faint' and would be sent to the class. The fainted student would suddenly revive, pull out his homework book and finish the homework for the first period in a jiffy. :)

Gulbarga 023 The corridors of MCC. This was the primary school corridor then. I can see myself entering Mini Mathew's class. The first room to the right is the girl's loo. During ladies' club Melas these corridors would turn into stalls. The second one on the left was mummy and Nimbargi Aunty's stall with 'ragda patties'.

Gulbarga 014 The entrance hasn't changed much either. Seems like there are fewer trees though. This picture brings back memories of me peddling down cross road 6 to reach school on time before assembly bell. Missing the bell meant closed gates. It still churns my stomach in fear of being punished - which was usually doing 4 rounds of the play ground!

Gulbarga 024

This picture brought goosebumps all over! I can see a three ft something in a navy blue tunic and blue and white check shirt inside, walking into the class room with a huge bag on her shoulders. She had short hair and had an air about herself. :)

Gulbarga 020 

Sister's convent behind the school. It was a privilege to go enter the premises. One just needed to enter their quarters to smell some divine cooking happening in the kitchen. I can see Sr Corona, Sr. beena...long before them Sr. Helen Mary. Hmmmmmmm.

 

Gulbarga 007

Ganesh Temple. A huge stone with Lord Ganesh painted on it. A long walk from my house. It was in Bankur. I can't  believe we walked to the temple! On Ganesh Chaturthi, this place was a spectacle.

 

So these were a few glimpses of where my childhood was spent. it was beautiful. I wish Poo had taken more pictures of the colony. I wonder how it looks now after all these years.

What a treat these visuals were. You made my day Poo!

Comments

the pleasantone said…
finally i had a glimpse of your beloved shahbad!!!! lovely!
the pleasantone said…
finally i saw a glimpse of your beloved shahbad! lovely!!!!!
Fighter Jet said…
oh..how it all sounds similar to my good ol school days...we too had people fainting during assembly prayer .. :)
Unknown said…
Hiya:
Names Sunil, was searching google images for "Bankur Ganesh" in Shahabad and found the exact pic and thats how i landed on your blog.
Ta for the lovely pics of MCC and the Ganesh.
I'am an Ex-Mcc'ian myself, left Shahabad for Mumbai when i was in the 5th Std.
Pretty Interesting Blog.
Good on you, Cheers
Sunil

Popular Posts