What's the best thing about being 7?

A while back :

So, Mishmash, you turn 7 tomorrow.
Yesss Mumma ! I can't wait!

Tell me, what's the most exciting thing about being 7?
The best part about being 7 is that papa will stop treating me like I was 6. 

How did he treat you when you were (still are!) 6?
Like a silly little girl mumma. 

So, how do you think he will treat you from tomorrow?
I have 'heard' mumma that after you turn 7, mummas and papas let you do anything you want to.
Like?
Umm watch TV ANYTIME you want to. 
I don't think so.
Ma, i know.

What else?
You can go to your friend's house whenever you want. I don't need you or Aunty.
I don't think so.
But why mumma? I'm big now. Actually i will be big tomorrow. I am now a responsible girl. I also know it's spelling (responsible). Remember papa and you asked me the spelling that day? I can handle everything on my own. 
*My heart breaks, exactly at this moment*

What else changes?
I can go swimming on my own! Even if it's drizzling. Papa never lets me. But after i turn 7, I can.
I don't think so.
*Sees that this conversation is not taking the right turn and hence, is about to leave*

Wait! *More indulgently* - So, tell na. What else changes? I really want to know. This is called expectation setting. 
What's that mumma?
Its telling each other what we expect of each other and then coming to a mutual agreement.
Maaaa, i'm going.
No wait! Tell me ....please?
I think from tomorrow you and papa will stop telling me to 'do this', 'bring that', 'clean your mess', 'take a bath' do do do do do. All that will change. 

You do know that once you turn 7 you HAVE to sleep in your own bed and cannot sneak in or sleep walk in the middle of the night into our bedroom, don't you?
*Silence*.
 Ma, what cake are you baking for me tomorrow? Come I'll help you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Happy Birthday, my love. We will continue to be as painful and obnoxious as we are for the rest of your life.
Also, what exactly happens at 13, again?

Comments

Sharmila said…
Happy b'day to lil Mishmash. :-)

Popular Posts