Maternal musings

I thought of you the other day,

when I retrieved an abandoned sock, a broken toy, and a stainless steel spoon,

from under the television table.

There still lies a forsaken Marie biscuit and a bikini that her Barbie wears.

 

This morning, I found you again, in my mind,

when she carelessly snubbed the home made banana bread,

which I toasted and served with a dollop of butter, for breakfast.

‘I like the mall one’, she announced in a rather lax manner.

 

When she called out to me for the fifth consecutive time today,

for  a refill of chips and for Disney to be changed to Nick Jr,

I thought of you, again.

I think of you often, these days,

because, in her I see myself,

and I marvel at how you

brought up a mule, to be a lady.

Yes, I think of you often, and in awe, Ma.

Comments

the pleasantone said…
What goes ard comes ard. finally ma aathi hai yaad har waqt! what would we do without them!!!! loved the musings!!!
Scribbler :) said…
very touching! in fact, mothers always say something that we thought was such a cliche 'You will understand when you become a mother.'. That may have been a cliche...but was so true.
Joe Pinto said…
Forty years on, KG, and 14 years older than she was when she died aged 44, I still remember you, Mummy. Peace and love, KG.
Gomathy S said…
Very true indeed..
@pleasantone: thank you, J. You ran k very high on my mommy list of 'awe-some mommies'. *hug*

@Scribbler: has this post moved you enough to you know...fulfill your mother and mother-in-law's wish?

@Chandrima: Thank you so much. Its good to see you around here. :-)

@JP: Sir, I have read about your mum on sangatizuzay, and know she must have been a great lady...mums are all special...:). Peace n love to you too, sir.

Daisy Blue: Hi there. Thanks for dropping in :-). I love your blog template- its very dream like and sweet. Should take some time off to read through your space.
Debanjana said…
Lovely post...so cute...I'm sure Meeshu is going to enjoy reading this when she grows up!
VIDYA said…
wow!wonderful poem!
I loved it!Random things evoke very powerful emotions,and it happens ver often,doesn't it?
I'm sure you're a lovely mother,as is your mom :)
Cheers!
@deb: thanks :). I do hope meesh enjoys reading them...i am not too sure about this gen kids..:D

@Vidya: thanks for visiitng :) and for those wows! :). I never thought if it th e way u put it- its actually so true- the most random things evoke very strong emotions ...:). true.
Ann Dee said…
Awwwwww... I too see me becoming my Ma everyday.. I always felt it'd be beyond words..blogging about it... But you put it through beautifully and poignantly...

Blog-rolling you. :)
the mad momma said…
yep! I'm thinking a medal in gold won't quite cut it!

http://themadmomma.wordpress.com
*Sniff, sniff!*

This is so true! And truer for daughters, I think. Which is why I need to get me one...

*Sigh*...I can dream, can't I?

Popular Posts