Home is where the door bell is.

You know, this space wouldn’t look as desolate, had it not been for the darned door bell. Its the most abused object in India, and it took me one full year away from home to notice it. And I never thought so many people visited us in a day- watchman, driver, domestic help1, domestic help 2, cook, watchman again, doodh wala, kachrawali, neighbour with a special dish in hand, neighbour again to take back that steel katori (like i’d auction that away), sabji wala, phoolwala, the electrician, the plumber, cable guy, internet guy, shessssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! But yes, it felt like home indeed to wake up to these people on day one of landing in India.Its amazing how one switches off to the most conspicuous and in your face din of your daily life, by just moving countries.

(There, the door bell again)

Its been nice so far, and a lot of peculiarities about my own country suddenly surfaces, hits, amuses and baffles me. These wouldn’t have even registered had I not been away. And needless to say, I am thoroughly enjoying these little quirky everyday nothings. For example, take our watchman. I realised that i see him more at our and other resident’s doorstep than at the main gates guarding the apartment  premises. But why blame him, he only does what he is asked to. I see a lot of him (Somaiyya) - more than twice a day, thrice too, sometimes. Today he was going door to door distributing a notice that, in short meant, in order to minimize the use of our antique lift, and thereby postpone its  impending demise, no domestic help/doodh wala, newspaper wala etc. will henceforth be allowed to use it.

I don’t own a flat here, else I’d have quite a few words to say and have ways to deal with a notice like this.

And I really cannot deal anymore with- oooh how thin your kid looks! Don’t you feed her?

There’s another classic one- you look fairer after your stay in Australia!

One more – how is your husband dealing all alone? Who is cooking for him?

And a quick update- the Hyd Bongs seem very excited about Saurab Ganguly’s newest show- ‘Dada Giri’, and still gossip and make merry with the same gusto. Some things never change. And I have been shamelessly haggling with the auto-rickshaw guy. :-) It felt lovely ! ;)

(another bell)

For those who missed me and emailed me asking me my whereabouts and wishing me a good trip, thank you. I missed you all too. But now you know who is to be blamed for this conspicuous absence. The door bell, surely.

Hopefully, I’ll be back soon, and am soon coming over to your space to catch up. Chai-nashta taiiyaar rakhio!

Comments

Starry-eyed nut said…
yeah yeah, the door bell never stops does it! Hope u having a grt trip gurl
Rupz said…
hahahahha... can't stop laughing !! Really, living over here, there really are small things which we notice only when we go back. hope you are having a blast of a time there ! Do keep posting.

- Rupa
Scribbler :) said…
You know we bought a door bell here, especially because I missed one. I love a bit of music announcing that someone has come to visit you.

Sadly, I hardly get to hear it...as we both have our own sets of keys and friends are few :(
LOL! Yep, the door bell plays an important role, especially on lazy Sundays when all you want to do is curl up and sleep. The doorbell doesn't stop ringing at all!
Lovely writing! Girl, I've missed you and your sometimes-quirky, sometimes-sentimental, but always-delightful posts!
indranil said…
very simply put, the ever-ringing door bell is just an indication of a far more cohesive family unit that makes up the fabric of India. we most non-apologetically love being in touch with all around and this brings about a bondage which firangs still don't understand.. i sincerely hope the bell never stops ringing...

a lame attempt to get into such bondings though the door bell was well reflected in the name of Hollywood film.. The Postman always rings twice... :P :P hehehe
Casuarina said…
The doorbell brings considerable variety to the daily routine of our life. At our apt, it starts ringing as early as 6 am and the process goes on till 8 pm on an approximate assessment. I even look forward to it when I'm alone !

It was a different story in the US though, when I was apprehensive abt its ringing at odd hours of the day. I was so scared of strangers asking odd questions or making bizarre demands (because these did actually happen a couple of times and I was totally unnerved !)
Rose said…
*bursts out laughing*
fairer after your stay in Oz, are you SERIOUS???!! Oh that's a new one *grins*
Shall wait to hear more soon - take care!
Shachi said…
ahh - brings back memories :) enjoy ur stay and have fun!
Haddock said…
....but when it rings there is always the excitement......who is that ?
the mad momma said…
God, I wanna slap people who ask me how my husband is dealing - how come no one asks me how I am dealing with a barely resident husband?!

Popular Posts