Time i introduced Meeshu to butkintuparantu

i thought it was summer that had crept in after sankaranti that made me sweat like a pig at 4 am on jan 12......woke up with a vague pain in my bloated stomach. Tooo fast...Meeshu cannot come this soon...she was due on the 30th...the doctors had said anytime...but i thought she would wait.

It got worse....mom and dad had stayed back that night coz Raj was going to be late. My fears came true...my water broke....i had to leave to Fernandez maternity hospital... a place so much dreaded in the last 9 months.

I was going to die of labour pains.

I had told Raj already that he could remarry...that Meeshu needed a mom....full Kuch Kuch Hota Hai style...(only there was no Kajol ) ..i was sure i'd die.

My mother was all exccited...Raj was so nervous, that his face looked like a frog that was going to be dissected...his huge eyes bulging out with sheer sympathy...

I had had two false alarms.... so I already had had two rehersals...i knew exactly what to expect on reaching the labour ward....

i refused to sit on a wheel chair...i said i'll walk....the contractions were getting more accute...and with each one i would clutch Raj's hand.... his face showed more pain than mine....

The docs on duty said ...ah...only one centimeter...long way to go.....'aparna..you need to dilate atleast 9 cms...you have just begun....so we will start you on iv and your husband can finish the admission formalities....'

Half an hour passed.... i was taken to the room.... half the world knew in was in hospital...thanks to Raj and his smsing (when men dont know what to do they start fiddling with their phones)....and while i was visiting hell and back with each contraction there were excited phone calls...'appuuu...shit...you are going to deliver....shit shit shit...!' Yes, SHIT.....

Raj and his six sigma time and motion study was getting on to my nerves. He was timing my contarctions and was doing some shitty black belt project in the room next to me. That ignoramous husband of mine, obviously had nothing better to do.

Every 4 hours I was taken to the labour ward from my room for screening....how much i had dilated....how was the baby doing...scans...so on and so forth....5 hours had passed...the phone calls kept coming in...(just like dad called home from work to find out how many runs India had scored in the one dayer in Eden garden....)

Still...1 cm....

I had donnit all.....prenatal yoga......was always on my feet....just a day back i was busy shopping in Hyderabad Central....I was sure...it had to be a normal delivery....

12 hours...labour induced twice....i was sure i'd die of pain...

i had developed temperature.....

Enters Dr Kasturei...my gyneac.....

They induced labour again...said the pains were not 'nice' enough. Now what the hell is 'nice'?? So thats that.....she wanted me to be cut open....'we could have waited till tomorrow morning but the baby's heartbeat is fallin so we have to do a c section, she said in the most matter of fact manner I have ever heard....'..... Waited till tomorrow morning????????...are these guys nuts?!! rip me apart...do whatever...just get the damn baby out (sorry Meeshu)

Soon enough i was wheeled into the OT.....Raj stood there in white like the rest...they looked like clowns....all of them....all staring at my bare body.....for once i felt no shame...all i cared for was pain relief!! (Raj in the OT...this was going to be easy with his next to me).

Then something poked my spine...'epidural' they said....awesome...awesome stuff..all that pain...vooooosh! vanish! gone!.....enters Dr Kasturi in the OT....

I was busy chatting with the nurses...said i was sure about Meeshu...said they could have the baby if it was a boy....they could just put me to sleep permanantly.....

she cut me.....was pulling Meeshu outta me....my entire body shook....i couldnt be bothered...asked raj...'is it a gal...tell me na'...raj said...'hang on only the head is out........you relax..'...more shaking...more pulling.........................then heard raj say it.......its MEESHU!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Thats all I cared about. Meeshu was here.

She was out finally . waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan...waaaaaaaaan! Raj saw her first...(hate him for that)...they got her to me...i gave her a kiss...wanted to weep...but no time...they injected some stuff...put me to sleep....raj kissed me on my lips and then i saw him fade away.....

Meeshu. welcome.

Comments

neha vish said…
Ello Meeshu! Looks like you gave Ma a fair amount of trouble just getting to the world! :)
Margaret said…
How sweet, I remember Katie being born in almost the exact same way. Except I never got to see her, they knocked me out before the fade off.

Three hours later Jon rolls her in to visit me in recovery. She looked so much like him, I thought she wasn't mine.

-Margie

Popular Posts