And so I wrote

I felt like writing a letter

like old times, to you Dada,

on Hallmark’s flowery stationary , with pink felt pen,

about my day at school, of friends who made me cry.

 

I felt like writing a letter

like I did so often, to you Kaka,

at great length, about the weather outside,

of the Enid Blytons I read.

 

I felt like writing a letter,

in an  Inland blue,

a hurried reply, to the missive you sent, Daddy,

with sentences stuffed at corners, over the glue.

 

I feel like writing a letter, to you J,

a  poem, about a coffee place, that we never went to,

long, drawn out sentences, about our love lives,

bickering , cursing, planning our escape.

 

I feel like writing to you,

my darling, of times gone by,

and days yet to come, in sappy, syrupy words,

to remind you of the wistful days, we spent in agony, with out each other.

 

(when was the last you wrote to someone on beautiful stationary, with an ink pen, in great detail about the weather, and all things romantic, and useless bits of information?)

Comments

Tracer Bullet said…
nice... v nice... :)
i used to write long letters to didi when i was in college... and wait for her reply... she had the most beautiful handwriting ever.... ofcrs she never sent only a letter... there always was a gift - like stickers, earrings, bracelets, color pencils, :) i still love receiving couriers.... and sending them too...

since i did not write so well and had the most ugly handwriting ever... i jazzed up my letters with stickers, drawings... big smilies on the envelope.... that open with a smile (drawn at the opening of the envelope) was so silly... but i loved doing that.... :)

ok, i think this qualifies for a letter and not a comment... :D
indranil said…
during university days i used to love writing letters to M. used to go on writing endlessly on fool scape papers.... possibly 6 or 7 sheets written on either side and about 3 letters a fortnight... all these literary pursuits used to perk me up. but then they stopped..... i got married.

in the last 2 decades the only letters i had HAND WRITTEN were my resignation letters. ( i refused to send a mail or take a print out). They had to scan it to make it an office docuement. this used to infuriate my bosses and in turn would relieve me earlier with full pay... :D
the pleasantone said…
oh babe! somehow my tears well up! when i think of letters! i used write them so often and now i've join the cyberspace i havent written to anyone!!!
promise i will be writing to you!!!
what's your address btw e-mail it to me pronto!!!!
iam all action action action!!!
Scribbler :) said…
Thank you for bringing back a flood of beautiful memories...I so want to hold a fountain pen again... once before I die...or forget how to use a pen.
Debanjana said…
I love this one...really awesome...I used to write a lot of letters once to my Dad when he was away...and I've always been such a sucker for fancy stationery...suddenly got reminded of Bangalore's 'Kurious'
Oh this is lovely!

I think the last time I wrote a letter was around ten years ago. I used to write loads of them when I was in hostel.

I still remember the excitement and thrill of getting mail delivered by a postman. Even now, despite mobile phones, sms-es, e-mail, facebook and the latest, twitter...nothing like a good old-fashioned, hand-written letter.

Popular Posts